Columns delimiter

  • T o F
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 6:45 AM
      Hi !
      There is something I'm looking for in vim, which is quite useful for
      syntax IMHO: a line which would delimit the 80th column (or another one
      if anybody need).

      Something like UltraEdit on MSWin, or netbeans, or...

      I though of changing a little bit the background of the >80 characters,
      so that any text in the zone would be obvious, but not forbiden.

      Any idea how to make this ?
      I tried it with syntax... (match...) but hard to manage tabs,
      furthermore it would hilight background *only* if the text is beyond the
      80th column.
      I tried to modify vim sources, why not making a patch with a new
      option. But I'm quite lost, where should I start ?

      Thanx, any idea welcomed :)

      Tof
    • David A de Gruyl
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 6:55 AM
        * wrote <1025531131.7053.16.camel@hyperion>:
        > Hi !
        > There is something I'm looking for in vim, which is quite useful for
        > syntax IMHO: a line which would delimit the 80th column (or another one
        > if anybody need).

        I use:
        match eightyColumn /\%>80v.*/
        or:
        syn match eightyColumn /\%>80v.*/

        the .* highlights everything greater than 80th virtual column. you may
        only want to highlight the 80th column itself so:

        match eightyColumn /\%>80v/

        (this is actually almost verbatim from help match)

        David

        --
        David de Gruyl <david@...>
      • T o F
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1 8:27 AM
          well, thanx, I didn't see this...
          But if it remove the tabs problem, it's not exactly what I'm looking
          for... since I want to hilight places where there is no text.

          On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 15:55, David A de Gruyl wrote:

          > * wrote <1025531131.7053.16.camel@hyperion>:
          > > Hi !
          > > There is something I'm looking for in vim, which is quite useful for
          > > syntax IMHO: a line which would delimit the 80th column (or another one
          > > if anybody need).
          >
          > I use:
          > match eightyColumn /\%>80v.*/
          > or:
          > syn match eightyColumn /\%>80v.*/
          >
          > the .* highlights everything greater than 80th virtual column. you may
          > only want to highlight the 80th column itself so:
          >
          > match eightyColumn /\%>80v/
          >
          > (this is actually almost verbatim from help match)
          >
          > David
          >
          > --
          > David de Gruyl <david@...>

        • Benji Fisher