Re: color the active line

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
      rehm.armin@... wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > is it possible in vim to color the active line,
      > I mean the line in which the cursor is.
      >
      > Can you give me a hint on how to realize it?
      >
      > I found it nice to see the active line in a different color from the other
      > text.
      > It helps me a lot in reading a file.

      Not entirely satisfactory, but read

      :help /\%l

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > rehm.armin@... wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > is it possible in vim to color the active line,
        > > I mean the line in which the cursor is.
        > >
        > > Can you give me a hint on how to realize it?
        > >
        > > I found it nice to see the active line in a different color from the other
        > > text.
        > > It helps me a lot in reading a file.
        >
        > Not entirely satisfactory, but read
        >
        > :help /\%l

        You might like this:

        :au! CursorHold * let @/ = '\%' . line('.') . 'l.*'
        :set ut=500

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Steve Hall
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
          From: "Benji Fisher" <benji@...>

          > Benji Fisher wrote:
          > >
          > > rehm.armin@... wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > is it possible in vim to color the active line,
          > > > I mean the line in which the cursor is.
          > > >
          > > > Can you give me a hint on how to realize it?
          > > >
          > > > I found it nice to see the active line in a different color from the
          other
          > > > text.
          > > > It helps me a lot in reading a file.
          > >
          > > Not entirely satisfactory, but read
          > >
          > > :help /\%l
          >
          > You might like this:
          >
          > :au! CursorHold * let @/ = '\%' . line('.') . 'l.*'
          > :set ut=500

          Wow, *I* like it! But I'm not sure of exactly what's happening here... how
          can I make this work from insertmode?

          Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]
          --
          Try Cream in your Vim... it takes the bitterness out!
          http://cream.sourceforge.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
            Steve Hall wrote:

            > From: "Benji Fisher" <benji@...>

            [snip]
            > > You might like this:
            > >
            > > :au! CursorHold * let @/ = '\%' . line('.') . 'l.*'
            > > :set ut=500
            >
            > Wow, *I* like it! But I'm not sure of exactly what's happening here... how
            > can I make this work from insertmode?

            What it does: after 500 ms of waiting for you to hit a key, vim executes

            :let @/ = '\%' . line('.') . 'l.*'

            and this sets the search register to a pattern that matches the current line.
            AFAICT, the docs do not mention it, but the CursorHold event seems to be
            triggered only in Normal mode, but not in Insert mode, so I do not see how to
            do it with 'insertmode' set.

            :help CursorHold
            :help 'ut'
            :help /\%l
            :help "/

            HTH --Benji Fisher
          • Steve Hall
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2002
              From: "Benji Fisher" <benji@...>

              > Steve Hall wrote:
              > >
              > > From: "Benji Fisher" <benji@...>
              > > >
              > > > You might like this:
              > > >
              > > > :au! CursorHold * let @/ = '\%' . line('.') . 'l.*'
              > > > :set ut=500
              > >
              > > Wow, *I* like it! But I'm not sure of exactly what's happening
              > > here... how can I make this work from insertmode?
              >
              > [snip]
              >
              > AFAICT, the docs do not mention it, but the CursorHold event seems
              > to be triggered only in Normal mode, but not in Insert mode, so I do
              > not see how to do it with 'insertmode' set.
              >
              > :help CursorHold
              > :help 'ut'
              > :help /\%l
              > :help "/

              Ugh, just what I've been experiencing. Thanks for the insight though.

              Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]