Re[2]: Leaving Cursor Behind When Scrolling

  • Alan G Isaac
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2002
      On Fri, 31 May 2002 20:39:32 -0700 Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      > To have vim behave the other would just be ... odd.

      Vim is so configurable it is hard to know what will appear odd
      to a given user, and I think the query concerned how to configure
      this. (Currently impossible.)

      > I think it would be difficult to make gvim behave the way you think you
      > want without introducing annoying side effects. GUI editor users
      > usually move the cursor to absolute positions with the mouse, whereas
      > vim users usually move the cursor incrementally with the keyboard. It
      > would be annoying to have paged down to where you want to edit, then as
      > you move the cursor either not be able to see it or have the display
      > jump to the cursor's position in the file.

      In principle you ought to be able to choose whether you are moving
      the cursor or just the viewing window when you do something like
      page down.

      Location of the cursor and of the viewing window are logically separate.
      However it is natural that the cursor be visible when moving. Thus it is
      important that the cursor be able to be nicely called into the viewing
      window. With a GUI this can be done with a mouse: click in the
      viewing window. However there should be a keyboard equivalent.
      I do not know one in Windows.

      In any case, I do not think there is any danger of this change in Vim.
      Marks provide too much of the sought functionality. This was true
      even before I learned about gi, which almost completes the picture.

      Cheers,
      Alan