Re: character code

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2002
      Raphael (or anyone having that kind of problems) could also view the
      following help topics:

      :h 'encoding'
      :h 'fileencoding'
      :h 'fileencodings'
      :h 'termencoding'
      :h :digraphs

      Succinctly, :set enc? shows your current encoding. :set fenc? shows the
      encoding for the current file (defaults to the current 'encoding' if empty);
      set fencs? shows which encodings are recognised when reading a file: they
      are tried in order; the first one which works is used, or if none there is a
      fallback to (I think) latin1; set tenc? shows which encoding is used to
      interpret your key presses (default to the current 'encoding' if empty, so
      don't forget to set it if, for instance, you want to edit unicode files
      using a Latin or ISO-8859 keyboard); :dig (with no parameters) shows all the
      digraphs currently defined for your current encoding (to use one in Insert
      or Replace mode, type <Ctrl-K><char1><char2>); :dig <char1><char2> <number>
      [<char3><char4> <number>] ... defines one or more new ones.

      On my Windows box, using the iso-8859-15 encoding in gvim, I get é = 233
      (and has digraph e' ); 130 has digraph BH. Under UTF-8, the same (but many
      more digraphs are defined of course, with charcodes between 1 and 64262).
      Strangely enough, in vim in a DOS box under Windows, with the same :set
      options, I get é=130 (and has digraph e'); much fewer digraphs are defined
      (233 isn't, and there are none under 128). Maybe it inherits my cp437
      setting from the BIOS (and no codepage software loaded in either CONFIG.SYS
      or AUTOEXEC.BAT).