Re: :runtime illegal from gvim?

  • Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2002
      On Thu, 2 May 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
      > >
      > > Is there a reason why I should get:
      > >
      > > Error detected while processing /home/hgs/.vimrc:
      > > line 22:
      > > Not an editor command: :runtime ftplugin/man.vim
      > >
      > > when invoking gvim, but not when invoking vim?
      > > Vim6.1, solaris 7, over eXceed to a pc.
      >
      > Is it possible that gvim invokes a pre-6.0 version, but vim invokes 6.1
      > as you say? Start up gvim, deal with the error message, and try
      This is wierd! gvim says it is 5.6.1, by vim says it is 6.1

      dir is /usr/local/bin
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 3 Nov 7 14:45 evim -> vim
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 3 May 17 2000 gvim -> vim
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 3 Nov 7 14:45 gvimdiff -> vim
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 3 May 17 2000 rgvim -> vim
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 3 May 17 2000 rvim -> vim
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root other 1108388 Mar 26 10:44 vim
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 3 Nov 7 14:45 vimdiff -> vim
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root other 1068 Mar 26 10:44 vimtutor

      in csh, which tells me that vim is aliased to vim -X, which is true.
      whereis tells me that vim is -- well:
      vim: /usr/local/bin/vim
      gvim: /usr/local/bin/gvim

      Doing whereis again turns up the problem.
      vim: aliased to vim -X
      /progs/forte6/SUNWspro/bin/gvim

      ls -l /progs/forte6/SUNWspro/bin/gvim
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 34 Feb 15 11:52 /progs/forte6/SUNWspro/bin/gvim -> ../contrib/contrib6/vim5.6/bin/vim

      Found the problem. I expect this will be something for all Solaris
      people to look out for.

      > :version
      >
      > If that is not the answer, post part of your vimrc file (at least the first 22
      > lines) and we'll have a look.

      All of this was to work around having a wobbly termcap definition for
      cygwin on the suns. Can I get vim to use its idea of cygwin's termcap
      to good effect, or does it not have one...

      :set term=cygwin
      did something too quick for me to see!

      > HTH --Benji Fisher

      Yes, it does help, thank you.