Re: searching using motions

  • Thomas S. Urban
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2002
      On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 23:21:02 -0700, Gary Johnson sent 0.7K bytes:
      > On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:20:22AM -0700, Tim O. Gunter wrote:
      > > i would like to be able to search for a string in using motions to select
      > > the string from the cursors current position. for example i would like
      > > to be able to type something like "*3w<cr>" to highlight the next three
      > > words and search for all occurrences of them in the current buffer.
      > > is there anyway to do this? the "*" and "#" commands dont support motions,
      > > is there any other command that does?
      >
      > Here is yet another mapping that does that (contributed to this list by
      > someone else several months ago):
      >
      > " Search for the highlighted text.
      > vmap g/ y/<C-R>"<CR>

      Note that both this and the function I posted earlier will not work
      right when certain special characters are present in the text that will
      be searched for. Those characters should be escaped. Here is what I
      have in my vimrc for searching for visually selected text:

      vnoremap ;sn "sy:let @s = escape (@s, '^~/.*[]')<CR>/<C-R>s<CR>

      Scott

      --
      Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.
      -- Alexander Pope