Re: character code

  • Jürgen Krämer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2002

      Ron Aaron wrote:

      > The reason is that they are *not* the same character!
      >
      > The character encodings are different. The character 0xe9 in the
      > 'utf-8' encoding is indeed the é character. Do you know what is the
      > character 0x82 encoding?

      the encoding might be DOS code pages 437 or 850 or ... This cannot
      be decided from the single encoding 'é' == 0x82, because those code
      pages do not differ in this case. If Raphael could provide some more
      incorrectly displayed characters I could look it up op.

      Regards,
      Jürgen

      --
      Jürgen Krämer Softwareentwicklung/-support
      Habel GmbH mailto:software@...
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2002
        Raphael (or anyone having that kind of problems) could also view the
        following help topics:

        :h 'encoding'
        :h 'fileencoding'
        :h 'fileencodings'
        :h 'termencoding'
        :h :digraphs

        Succinctly, :set enc? shows your current encoding. :set fenc? shows the
        encoding for the current file (defaults to the current 'encoding' if empty);
        set fencs? shows which encodings are recognised when reading a file: they
        are tried in order; the first one which works is used, or if none there is a
        fallback to (I think) latin1; set tenc? shows which encoding is used to
        interpret your key presses (default to the current 'encoding' if empty, so
        don't forget to set it if, for instance, you want to edit unicode files
        using a Latin or ISO-8859 keyboard); :dig (with no parameters) shows all the
        digraphs currently defined for your current encoding (to use one in Insert
        or Replace mode, type <Ctrl-K><char1><char2>); :dig <char1><char2> <number>
        [<char3><char4> <number>] ... defines one or more new ones.

        On my Windows box, using the iso-8859-15 encoding in gvim, I get é = 233
        (and has digraph e' ); 130 has digraph BH. Under UTF-8, the same (but many
        more digraphs are defined of course, with charcodes between 1 and 64262).
        Strangely enough, in vim in a DOS box under Windows, with the same :set
        options, I get é=130 (and has digraph e'); much fewer digraphs are defined
        (233 isn't, and there are none under 128). Maybe it inherits my cp437
        setting from the BIOS (and no codepage software loaded in either CONFIG.SYS
        or AUTOEXEC.BAT).