Re: how to spell check from vim?

  • Scott DF
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2002
      I use Aspell with good results and the features you list.

      http://aspell.sourceforge.net/

      Scott

      At 5/1/02 11:42 AM, M K Saravanan wrote:
      >Dear All,
      >
      >Sorry for asking if the qn. is very basic. How to spell check from vim?
      >Is it possible to add own own list of words to the dictionary?
      >
      >-- mks --
    • Charles E. Campbell
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2002
        Thus saith M K Saravanan:
        > Sorry for asking if the qn. is very basic. How to spell check from vim?
        > Is it possible to add own own list of words to the dictionary?

        Engspchk allows you to have a custom dictionary (your own wordlist) as
        well as a built-in standard one. It also supports suggesting
        alternative spellings. With the exception of the latter, engspchk is a
        native-vim app. Here's a couple of links to get you started
        (English):

        http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#Spelling

        For Dutch, English, German, Hungarian, and Yiddish, see:

        http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=152

        Included in that last tip is a link to a script for
        transforming engspchk to handle other languages so
        long as you have a dictionary.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

        --
        Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
        cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2002
          Hello everyone,

          I'm finally starting to take advantage of the folding
          mechanism and have read the fold.txt documentation, but
          was not able to figure out how to do the following:

          1) Make the Markers {{{ and }}} non-visible.
          I tried an autocommand, but was not successful.
          au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr "{{{" |
          \ hi fmrkr guibg=black guifg=black
          Is it possible to make the markers black_on_black?

          2) Instead of folding multiple _complete_ rows, is it
          possible to fold only a block of data. The following
          is a simplified example of what I want to do. I want
          to turn the following

          Time Tx0 Tx1 Rx0 Rx1
          0 aaaaa bbbbb
          aaaaa bbbbb
          aaaaa bbbbb
          10 aaaaa
          aaaaa
          aaaaa
          20 bbbbb
          bbbbb
          bbbbb

          into
          VV

          Time Tx0 Tx1 Rx0 Rx1
          0 *aaaaa* bbbbb
          bbbbb
          bbbbb
          10 aaaaa
          aaaaa
          aaaaa
          20 bbbbb
          bbbbb
          bbbbb

          by folding only the Tx0's 2 line "aaaaa". I
          know this is more than likely not possible, but
          I thought it was worth a shot. Having possibly
          100's of Tx0 and Tx1 data, would this be feasible
          with a vim script?

          Any answers, ideas, suggestions or comments would
          be greatly appreciated.

          Thanks,
          Edwin-

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Colin Keith
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2002
            On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:17:38PM -0700, Edwin wrote:
            > 1) Make the Markers {{{ and }}} non-visible.
            > I tried an autocommand, but was not successful.
            > au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr "{{{" |
            > \ hi fmrkr guibg=black guifg=black
            > Is it possible to make the markers black_on_black?

            This is actually in the man page, you just have to read it
            carefully to see that its there:

            :help c-syntax

            "To match extra items in comments, use the cCommentGroup cluster.
            Example: >
            :au Syntax c call MyCadd()
            :function MyCadd()
            : syn keyword cMyItem contained Ni
            : syn cluster cCommentGroup add=cMyItem
            : hi link cMyItem Title
            :endfun"

            But the important line is:

            syn cluster cCommentGroup add=fmrkr

            I.e. change your au command to:

            au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr '{{{\d*' |
            \ syn cluster cCommentGroup add=fmrkr |
            \ hi fmrkr term=NONE guibg=black guifg=black
            \ ctermfg=black ctermbg=black

            Also note the syntax change as you will probably want to specify
            the fold level too. Now you can check that this works by placing
            the cursor on one of the folds and entering:

            :echo synIDattr(synID(line('.'), col('.'), 1), 'fg')
            :echo synIDattr(synID(line('.'), col('.'), 1), 'bg')

            > 2) Instead of folding multiple _complete_ rows, is it
            > possible to fold only a block of data. The following
            > is a simplified example of what I want to do. I want
            > to turn the following

            I'm pretty sure the answer is no. More syntax highlighting to
            black perhaps? :)

            Anyway, this works for me, and is quite cute - perhaps you should
            post it to the tips section of vim.sf.net ...

            Colin.
          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2002
              Colin Keith wrote:

              > On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:17:38PM -0700, Edwin wrote:
              > > 1) Make the Markers {{{ and }}} non-visible.
              > > I tried an autocommand, but was not successful.
              > > au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr "{{{" |
              > > \ hi fmrkr guibg=black guifg=black
              > > Is it possible to make the markers black_on_black?
              >
              > This is actually in the man page, you just have to read it
              > carefully to see that its there:
              >
              > :help c-syntax
              >
              > "To match extra items in comments, use the cCommentGroup cluster.
              > Example: >
              > :au Syntax c call MyCadd()
              > :function MyCadd()
              > : syn keyword cMyItem contained Ni
              > : syn cluster cCommentGroup add=cMyItem
              > : hi link cMyItem Title
              > :endfun"
              >
              > But the important line is:
              >
              > syn cluster cCommentGroup add=fmrkr
              >
              > I.e. change your au command to:
              >
              > au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr '{{{\d*' |
              > \ syn cluster cCommentGroup add=fmrkr |
              > \ hi fmrkr term=NONE guibg=black guifg=black
              > \ ctermfg=black ctermbg=black
              >
              > Also note the syntax change as you will probably want to specify
              > the fold level too. Now you can check that this works by placing
              > the cursor on one of the folds and entering:
              >
              > :echo synIDattr(synID(line('.'), col('.'), 1), 'fg')
              > :echo synIDattr(synID(line('.'), col('.'), 1), 'bg')

              It might also work to use the "containedin" option.

              :help :syn-containedin

              HTH --Benji Fisher