how to spell check from vim?

  • M K Saravanan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2002
      Dear All,

      Sorry for asking if the qn. is very basic. How to spell check from vim?
      Is it possible to add own own list of words to the dictionary?

      -- mks --
    • Scott DF
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2002
        I use Aspell with good results and the features you list.

        http://aspell.sourceforge.net/

        Scott

        At 5/1/02 11:42 AM, M K Saravanan wrote:
        >Dear All,
        >
        >Sorry for asking if the qn. is very basic. How to spell check from vim?
        >Is it possible to add own own list of words to the dictionary?
        >
        >-- mks --
      • Charles E. Campbell
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2002
          Thus saith M K Saravanan:
          > Sorry for asking if the qn. is very basic. How to spell check from vim?
          > Is it possible to add own own list of words to the dictionary?

          Engspchk allows you to have a custom dictionary (your own wordlist) as
          well as a built-in standard one. It also supports suggesting
          alternative spellings. With the exception of the latter, engspchk is a
          native-vim app. Here's a couple of links to get you started
          (English):

          http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#Spelling

          For Dutch, English, German, Hungarian, and Yiddish, see:

          http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=152

          Included in that last tip is a link to a script for
          transforming engspchk to handle other languages so
          long as you have a dictionary.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

          --
          Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
          cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2002
            Hello everyone,

            I'm finally starting to take advantage of the folding
            mechanism and have read the fold.txt documentation, but
            was not able to figure out how to do the following:

            1) Make the Markers {{{ and }}} non-visible.
            I tried an autocommand, but was not successful.
            au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr "{{{" |
            \ hi fmrkr guibg=black guifg=black
            Is it possible to make the markers black_on_black?

            2) Instead of folding multiple _complete_ rows, is it
            possible to fold only a block of data. The following
            is a simplified example of what I want to do. I want
            to turn the following

            Time Tx0 Tx1 Rx0 Rx1
            0 aaaaa bbbbb
            aaaaa bbbbb
            aaaaa bbbbb
            10 aaaaa
            aaaaa
            aaaaa
            20 bbbbb
            bbbbb
            bbbbb

            into
            VV

            Time Tx0 Tx1 Rx0 Rx1
            0 *aaaaa* bbbbb
            bbbbb
            bbbbb
            10 aaaaa
            aaaaa
            aaaaa
            20 bbbbb
            bbbbb
            bbbbb

            by folding only the Tx0's 2 line "aaaaa". I
            know this is more than likely not possible, but
            I thought it was worth a shot. Having possibly
            100's of Tx0 and Tx1 data, would this be feasible
            with a vim script?

            Any answers, ideas, suggestions or comments would
            be greatly appreciated.

            Thanks,
            Edwin-

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • Colin Keith
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2002
              On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:17:38PM -0700, Edwin wrote:
              > 1) Make the Markers {{{ and }}} non-visible.
              > I tried an autocommand, but was not successful.
              > au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr "{{{" |
              > \ hi fmrkr guibg=black guifg=black
              > Is it possible to make the markers black_on_black?

              This is actually in the man page, you just have to read it
              carefully to see that its there:

              :help c-syntax

              "To match extra items in comments, use the cCommentGroup cluster.
              Example: >
              :au Syntax c call MyCadd()
              :function MyCadd()
              : syn keyword cMyItem contained Ni
              : syn cluster cCommentGroup add=cMyItem
              : hi link cMyItem Title
              :endfun"

              But the important line is:

              syn cluster cCommentGroup add=fmrkr

              I.e. change your au command to:

              au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr '{{{\d*' |
              \ syn cluster cCommentGroup add=fmrkr |
              \ hi fmrkr term=NONE guibg=black guifg=black
              \ ctermfg=black ctermbg=black

              Also note the syntax change as you will probably want to specify
              the fold level too. Now you can check that this works by placing
              the cursor on one of the folds and entering:

              :echo synIDattr(synID(line('.'), col('.'), 1), 'fg')
              :echo synIDattr(synID(line('.'), col('.'), 1), 'bg')

              > 2) Instead of folding multiple _complete_ rows, is it
              > possible to fold only a block of data. The following
              > is a simplified example of what I want to do. I want
              > to turn the following

              I'm pretty sure the answer is no. More syntax highlighting to
              black perhaps? :)

              Anyway, this works for me, and is quite cute - perhaps you should
              post it to the tips section of vim.sf.net ...

              Colin.
            • Benji Fisher
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2002
                Colin Keith wrote:

                > On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:17:38PM -0700, Edwin wrote:
                > > 1) Make the Markers {{{ and }}} non-visible.
                > > I tried an autocommand, but was not successful.
                > > au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr "{{{" |
                > > \ hi fmrkr guibg=black guifg=black
                > > Is it possible to make the markers black_on_black?
                >
                > This is actually in the man page, you just have to read it
                > carefully to see that its there:
                >
                > :help c-syntax
                >
                > "To match extra items in comments, use the cCommentGroup cluster.
                > Example: >
                > :au Syntax c call MyCadd()
                > :function MyCadd()
                > : syn keyword cMyItem contained Ni
                > : syn cluster cCommentGroup add=cMyItem
                > : hi link cMyItem Title
                > :endfun"
                >
                > But the important line is:
                >
                > syn cluster cCommentGroup add=fmrkr
                >
                > I.e. change your au command to:
                >
                > au BufRead,BufNewFile * syn match fmrkr '{{{\d*' |
                > \ syn cluster cCommentGroup add=fmrkr |
                > \ hi fmrkr term=NONE guibg=black guifg=black
                > \ ctermfg=black ctermbg=black
                >
                > Also note the syntax change as you will probably want to specify
                > the fold level too. Now you can check that this works by placing
                > the cursor on one of the folds and entering:
                >
                > :echo synIDattr(synID(line('.'), col('.'), 1), 'fg')
                > :echo synIDattr(synID(line('.'), col('.'), 1), 'bg')

                It might also work to use the "containedin" option.

                :help :syn-containedin

                HTH --Benji Fisher