Re: Set the cursor position in vim functions

  • Brett Pershing Stahlman
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2002
      Francois,
      The reason that
      :exec lineno
      worked is that when in ex mode (command-line mode), a command consisting of
      a single number means go to the line indicated by the number. All lines in a
      vim script represent commands executed on the command line, so if you want
      to do a normal mode command -
      e.g., N|, to go to column N from within a vim script, you have to tell vim
      that the keystrokes are to be executed in normal mode rather than ex mode.
      The way you do this is to use the normal command.
      e.g., to go to column 10, you would type

      :normal 10|

      Since the arguments to "normal" command are taken literally (i.e., no
      variable substitution takes place), you must build up the normal command as
      a string that can be passed to execute command if the column position is a
      variable.
      e.g.,
      :let str = "normal " . col . '|'
      :execute str

      or, to do it in one line,
      :execute "normal " . col . '|'

      Hope this helps explain it...

      Brett S.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2002
        Le Wed, 1 May 2002 08:36:07 -0500
        "Brett Pershing Stahlman" <brett.stahlman@...> a ecrit:

        > Hope this helps explain it...

        Yes, it does: now I begin to catch a glimpse of the vim programming
        philosophy which is quite disconcerting at first sight... as is its
        huge documentation, without any critisism in mind.

        Many thanks for your time and patience, to you and all the others
        from the list, too.

        Fran├žois