Open Buffer History

  • Gilles.Roy@arc.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      When I start VIM, I would like it to automatically re-open all of the
      buffers that were open at the time I exited VIM.

      For example, if I have buffers file, file2, and file3 open, I would like to
      be able to do ":q" and when I later restart VIM, I would like file1, file2
      and file3 to be automatically reopened.

      Can anybody offer any advice or tips?

      Thanks,

      Gilles Roy
      Software Engineer
      ARC International
      515 Legget Drive Suite 300
      Kanata, ON K2K 3G4 Canada

      Phone: 613-591-2879
      Fax: 613-271-8076

      www.ARC.com

      Unless otherwise expressly stated, this message does not create or vary any
      contractual relationship between you and ARC International. The contents
      of this e-mail may be confidential and if you have received it in error,
      please delete it from your system, destroy any hard copies and telephone
      the above number. Incoming e-mails to ARC may be subject to monitoring
      other than by the addressee.
    • Brett Pershing Stahlman
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2002
        Try
        :help mks

        Brett S.

        > When I start VIM, I would like it to automatically re-open all of the
        > buffers that were open at the time I exited VIM.
        >
        > For example, if I have buffers file, file2, and file3 open, I would like
        > be able to do ":q" and when I later restart VIM, I would like file1, file2
        > and file3 to be automatically reopened.
        >
        > Can anybody offer any advice or tips?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Gilles Roy
        > Software Engineer
        > ARC International
        > 515 Legget Drive Suite 300
        > Kanata, ON K2K 3G4 Canada
        >
        > Phone: 613-591-2879
        > Fax: 613-271-8076
        >
        > www.ARC.com
        >
        > Unless otherwise expressly stated, this message does not create or vary
        any
        > contractual relationship between you and ARC International. The contents
        > of this e-mail may be confidential and if you have received it in error,
        > please delete it from your system, destroy any hard copies and telephone
        > the above number. Incoming e-mails to ARC may be subject to monitoring
        > other than by the addressee.

      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2002
          You can also restore the buffer list (not quite the same as opening
          all the buffers) with

          :set vi+=%

          :help 'viminfo'

          HTH --Benji Fisher

          On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, at 09:45 AM, Brett Pershing Stahlman wrote:

          > Try
          > :help mks
          >
          > Brett S.

        • HALIM,SALMAN (HP-NewJersey,ex2)
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2002
            > Try
            >
            > :help mks

            More specifically, you could try saving and restoring a session on
            VimEnter and VimLeave:

            au VimLeave * mksession! c:/asdfljkasdflkjahsdf.sess
            au VimEnter * so c:/asdfljkasdflkjahsdf.sess

            This works, but it isn't pretty and it doesn't account for when you
            start vim with a specific file.

            I'll leave it to you to figure out which 'sessionoptions' to tweak to
            store only window information.

            --
            SOLDIER: What? Ridden on a horse?
            ARTHUR: Yes!