Re: help with help and tags

  • Brett Pershing Stahlman
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30 1:11 PM
      Ari,
      I couldn't tell from the directory structure you included below - is
      help.txt in vim60/ or in vim60/doc/ ?

      Since you can't access the help easily, I've pasted the section on
      "helpfile" option below:

      ***
      'helpfile' 'hf' string (default (MSDOS) "$VIMRUNTIME\doc\help.txt"
      (others) "$VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt")
      global
      {not in Vi}
      Name of the help file. All help files should be placed together in
      one directory. Environment variables are expanded |:set_env|. For
      example: "$VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt". If $VIMRUNTIME is not set, $VIM
      is also tried. Also see |$VIMRUNTIME| and |option-backslash|
      about including spaces and backslashes.
      This option cannot be set from a |modeline|, for security reasons.
      ***

      You should be able to see how your variable is currently set by doing
      :set hf?

      Also, does the directory structure leading to your helpfile look like this?

      vim/vim60/doc/help.txt

      Finally, I would suggest using commands
      :echo $VIMRUNTIME
      :echo $VIM
      to see what values Vim is using for these important paths. It tries to set
      them intelligently according to machine type, $HOME environment variable,
      vim EXE location, etc., but it's possible that it's guessed wrong on your
      setup...

      I've pasted the section on $VIMRUNTIME below so you can figure out how it's
      being set on your system:

      The environment variable "$VIMRUNTIME" is used to locate various support
      files, such as the on-line documentation and files used for syntax
      highlighting. For example, the main help file is normally
      "$VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt".
      You don't normally set $VIMRUNTIME yourself, but let Vim figure it out.
      This
      is the order used to find the value of $VIMRUNTIME:
      1. If the environment variable $VIMRUNTIME is set, it is used. You can use
      this when the runtime files are in an unusual location.
      2. If "$VIM/vim{version}" exists, it is used. {version} is the version
      number of Vim, without any '-' or '.'. For example: "$VIM/vim54". This
      is
      the normal value for $VIMRUNTIME.
      3. If "$VIM/runtime" exists, it is used.
      4. The value of $VIM is used. This is for backwards compatibility with
      older
      versions.
      5. When the 'helpfile' option is set and doesn't contain a '$', its value is
      used, with "doc/help.txt" removed from the end.

      For Unix, when there is a compiled-in default for $VIMRUNTIME (check the
      output of ":version"), steps 2, 3 and 4 are skipped, and the compiled-in
      default is used after step 5. This means that the compiled-in default
      overrules the value of $VIM. This is useful if $VIM is "/etc" and the
      runtime
      files are in "/user/share/vim/vim54".

      Once Vim has done this once, it will set the $VIMRUNTIME environment
      variable.
      To change it later, use a ":let" command like this: >
      :let $VIMRUNTIME = "/home/piet/vim/vim54"

      Hope all this helps...

      Brett S.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2002
        ari gold wrote:

        > hi brett.. thanks for the tip - feels like im going somewhere
        >
        > i tried that with a few different arguments and nothing worked. it generated
        > a tags file but i got the same error message:
        >
        > E433: No tags file
        > E426: tag not found: help.txt
        > Hit ENTER or type command to continue
        >
        > i even coped the tags file into the runtime directory and the upper directory
        > where the executible resides. would it help to see the directory structure?
        >
        > vim
        > vim60
        > tags
        > runtime
        > tags
        > doc
        > help.txt
        > tags
        > <many other files>
        > vimPPC (the exec)
        >
        > any other ideas?
        >
        > thanks a bunch...~ari
        >
        > ps. shouldnt be so tricky to run the binaries off the download, huh?

        I have been using OS X exclusively for a while now, but I just downloaded
        Vim6.0.17.sea for Mac Classic from Axel Kielhorn's site,

        http://homepage.mac.com/macvim/index.html

        and I did not have any trouble. That is, Stuffit unpacked the files
        automatically, I double-clicked on the icon, and vim started up without any
        error messages. Here is the relevant part of my directory structure:

        vim/
        vim/vimrc
        vim/vim60/
        vim/vim60/vimPPC (the executable)
        vim/vim60/runtime/
        vim/vim60/runtime/doc/
        vim/vim60/runtime/doc/help.txt
        vim/vim60/runtime/doc/tags

        If I understand your directory structure, you have runtime/ and vimPPC under
        vim/ instead of under vim/vim60 . Perhaps that is the problem.

        Even if there is something wrong with tags, you should be able to read
        the help files: they are all in vim/vim60/runtime/doc/ . The directory
        structure affects how vim finds the runtime files. If moving things around
        does not help, try

        :echo $VIM
        :echo $VIMRUNTIME

        in vim, and maybe

        :set helpfile?

        for good measure.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2002
          At 13:49 Uhr -0500 30.04.2002, arigold@... wrote:
          >hello hello,
          >
          >ill try to be brief - ive been wanting to use vim for quite some time now.
          >and while ive posted my problem to the mac-vim list, not much was doing there
          >so here i am..
          >
          >when i try to access help i get the following:
          >
          >E433: No tags file
          >E426: tag not found: help.txt
          >Hit ENTER or type command to continue

          This is strange. No matter what I do to my to my runtime or doc
          folder, or even to help.txt, I never get that message. All I get is
          "Sorry, help file "path to file" not found".
          Even turning tags into a DOS file didn't result in that error.

          >any ideas?

          Only questions:
          Which MacOS are you using?
          Which distribution do you have?
          Which VimVersion do you have? (:ver)

          Axel
        • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2002
            At 14:47 Uhr -0500 30.04.2002, ari gold wrote:

            >i even coped the tags file into the runtime directory and the upper directory
            >where the executible resides. would it help to see the directory structure?
            >
            >vim
            > vim60
            > tags
            > runtime
            > tags
            > doc
            > help.txt
            > tags
            > <many other files>
            > vimPPC (the exec)
            >
            >any other ideas?
            >
            >thanks a bunch...~ari

            Can you look at the tags file in doc?
            It should be in Mac format.

            Axel
          • Patrik Nyman
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2002
              I also have this same problem with the latest version for mac,
              Vim 6.1.042. With 6.1b it works fine. All I did when installing the
              new version was exchanging the binaries, and renaming the folder
              "vim61b" to "vim61". The tags file is in mac format. I run OS 9.0.

              Regards,
              Patrik Nyman
            • Benji Fisher
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2002
                Patrik Nyman wrote:

                > I also have this same problem with the latest version for mac,
                > Vim 6.1.042. With 6.1b it works fine. All I did when installing the
                > new version was exchanging the binaries, and renaming the folder
                > "vim61b" to "vim61". The tags file is in mac format. I run OS 9.0.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Patrik Nyman

                That sounds like a strange way to install the new version. Try just
                unpacking the archive and starting the binary from where it ends up. Do you
                get any problems that way?

                --Benji Fisher
              • Patrik Nyman
                Message 7 of 11 , May 6, 2002
                  Benji Fisher wrote:

                  >Patrik Nyman wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I also have this same problem with the latest version for mac,
                  > > Vim 6.1.042. With 6.1b it works fine. All I did when installing the
                  > > new version was exchanging the binaries, and renaming the folder
                  > > "vim61b" to "vim61". The tags file is in mac format. I run OS 9.0.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Patrik Nyman
                  >
                  > That sounds like a strange way to install the new version. Try just
                  >unpacking the archive and starting the binary from where it ends up. Do you
                  >get any problems that way?
                  >
                  > --Benji Fisher

                  Well, the binaries and the runtime files comes as separate archives,
                  and have to be put together. But my mistake was that I did not
                  download the new runtime files (I didn't notice them at the download
                  page). Having done that, everything works. So this was really a
                  pseudo problem. Sorry about that, and thanks for the reply.

                  Regards,
                  Patrik Nyman