Re: yiw

  • Hari Krishna Dara
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
      On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 at 11:33am, Charles E. Campbell wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > As Thomas K=F6hler pointed out,
      >
      > yiw
      >
      > will put the cursor at the beginning of the word, at the price of
      > modifying the unnamed register.

      You can use "_yiw to avoid modifying the unnamed register. Register _ is
      called black hole register.

      :h "_

      Hari

    • Thomas Köhler
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
        Hari Krishna Dara wrote [020403 09:18]:
        > On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 at 11:33am, Charles E. Campbell wrote:
        >
        > > Hello!
        > >
        > > As Thomas K=F6hler pointed out,
        > >
        > > yiw
        > >
        > > will put the cursor at the beginning of the word, at the price of
        > > modifying the unnamed register.
        >
        > You can use "_yiw to avoid modifying the unnamed register.
        > Register _ is called black hole register.
        >
        > :h "_

        Thanks for pointing this out. I tend to forgot about new features
        when I already have workarounds that work reasonable well, so the
        black hole register came too late for me :-)

        > Hari

        Ciao,
        Thomas

        IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
      • Thomas Köhler
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
          Charles E. Campbell wrote [020403 09:18]:

          > Thus saith Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6hler?=:
          > > Well, seems like the best solution to me. That g~iwg~iw suggested
          > > above has one slight problem, it puts 2 extra actions in the undo
          > > queue, so when you want to undo things, you have to type "u" more
          > > often :-)
          >
          > Salim Halim suggested: g~iwu
          >
          > I'm not at all sure I trust putting undo actions in maps,
          > commands, or functions; I seem to recall having some trouble
          > with something like that in the past. Any opinions on this?

          I don't like it either. The other idea mentioned shortly (I do
          not remember who was the one to mention it, sorry) is nice: Use
          the black hole register.

          "_yiw

          > I'd like gb, but its obvious counterpart of ge is already taken :| .

          Yes, that's bad :-(

          > Regards,
          > Chip Campbell

          Ciao,