Re: ftp.vim.org weirdness?

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:

      > for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k, no
      > matter what client I use, when I try to go to ftp.vim.org it
      > works, fine, then i click on pub, then vim, then unreleased,
      > finally when i click on 'pc' i get "connection reset", or
      > "connection closed" depending on which client I use. I tried
      > this from a couple of win2k machines, and saem result.
      >
      > does not make any diff. whether i do use 'passive mode' or
      > not.
      >
      > I end up downloading on my linux machine, then scp'ing to my
      > windows host, but this is highly annoying.
      >
      > does anyone else see this? know why?

      A few others complained about this as well. The strange thing is that
      it's always the "pc" directory. All other directories work just fine.

      I asked the maintainer of the ftp site, he suggested it could be a
      problem with your proxy server. If you don't have a proxy server, or
      another system using the same proxy works fine, it must be something
      else. But what?

      --
      Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

    • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        At 10:36 a.m. 02/04/2002 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        >A few others complained about this as well. The strange thing is that
        >it's always the "pc" directory. All other directories work just fine.
        >
        >I asked the maintainer of the ftp site, he suggested it could be a
        >problem with your proxy server. If you don't have a proxy server, or
        >another system using the same proxy works fine, it must be something
        >else. But what?

        That's why I suggested using ncftp. The only way you can have the level of
        control you need to inter-operate with an FTP proxy server when using a
        win32 OS on your desktop machine is using a good command line client[1].
        And ncftp is among the better ones.

        BTW. At least in the case of my ISP, I stopped having problems with
        ftp.vim.org when I disabled passive FTP.

        [1] I have tried all the win32 ftp clients I am aware of, as in: (a) Go to
        a tucows mirror. (b) check the FTP clients page. (c) Download, install, try
        out, delete one by one. (d) Reinstall windows because 90% percent of the
        installers were created by amateurs and trashed the system registry.

        --
        Alejandro López-Valencia
        http://dradul.tripod.com/