Re: ftp.vim.org weirdness?

  • Ricardo SIGNES
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 01:51:11PM -0800, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
      > for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k, no
      > matter what client I use, when I try to go to ftp.vim.org it
      > works, fine, then i click on pub, then vim, then unreleased,
      > finally when i click on 'pc' i get "connection reset", or
      > "connection closed" depending on which client I use. I tried
      > this from a couple of win2k machines, and saem result.

      I experienced the same problem several times. I don't know
      what was happening. Finally, transferred the file to my unix
      box, then over to the w32 box.

      --
      rjbs
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:

        > for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k, no
        > matter what client I use, when I try to go to ftp.vim.org it
        > works, fine, then i click on pub, then vim, then unreleased,
        > finally when i click on 'pc' i get "connection reset", or
        > "connection closed" depending on which client I use. I tried
        > this from a couple of win2k machines, and saem result.
        >
        > does not make any diff. whether i do use 'passive mode' or
        > not.
        >
        > I end up downloading on my linux machine, then scp'ing to my
        > windows host, but this is highly annoying.
        >
        > does anyone else see this? know why?

        A few others complained about this as well. The strange thing is that
        it's always the "pc" directory. All other directories work just fine.

        I asked the maintainer of the ftp site, he suggested it could be a
        problem with your proxy server. If you don't have a proxy server, or
        another system using the same proxy works fine, it must be something
        else. But what?

        --
        Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

      • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
          At 10:36 a.m. 02/04/2002 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          >A few others complained about this as well. The strange thing is that
          >it's always the "pc" directory. All other directories work just fine.
          >
          >I asked the maintainer of the ftp site, he suggested it could be a
          >problem with your proxy server. If you don't have a proxy server, or
          >another system using the same proxy works fine, it must be something
          >else. But what?

          That's why I suggested using ncftp. The only way you can have the level of
          control you need to inter-operate with an FTP proxy server when using a
          win32 OS on your desktop machine is using a good command line client[1].
          And ncftp is among the better ones.

          BTW. At least in the case of my ISP, I stopped having problems with
          ftp.vim.org when I disabled passive FTP.

          [1] I have tried all the win32 ftp clients I am aware of, as in: (a) Go to
          a tucows mirror. (b) check the FTP clients page. (c) Download, install, try
          out, delete one by one. (d) Reinstall windows because 90% percent of the
          installers were created by amateurs and trashed the system registry.

          --
          Alejandro López-Valencia
          http://dradul.tripod.com/