Re: ftp.vim.org weirdness?

  • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002

      Using a graphical client? *Sigh* Try the win32 binary at http://www.ncftp.com/

      --
      Alejandro López-Valencia
      http://dradul.tripod.com/

    • Denis Perelyubskiy
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
        * P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <dradul@...> [01-Apr-02 17:13 -0800]:

        >At 01:51 p.m. 01/04/2002 -0800, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
        >>Hello,
        >>
        >>for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k,
        >>no matter what client I use, when I try to go to
        >>ftp.vim.org it works, fine, then i click on pub, then
        >>vim, then unreleased, finally when i click on 'pc' i get
        >>"connection reset", or "connection closed" depending on
        >>which client I use. I tried this from a couple of win2k
        >>machines, and saem result.
        >

        >Using a graphical client? *Sigh* Try the win32 binary at
        >http://www.ncftp.com/
        [...]

        thanks. I tried several, and they all seem to come up with
        the same result. command-line ftp is the same thing. I am
        beginning to suspect that maybe i was wrong, and it does
        work at home (esp. after David said it had worked just fine
        for him)

        I will ask again if I can't track this down.

        thanks,

        denis

        --
        // mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...>
        // icq : 12359698
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 01:51:11PM -0800, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
          > for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k, no
          > matter what client I use, when I try to go to ftp.vim.org it
          > works, fine, then i click on pub, then vim, then unreleased,
          > finally when i click on 'pc' i get "connection reset", or
          > "connection closed" depending on which client I use. I tried
          > this from a couple of win2k machines, and saem result.

          I experienced the same problem several times. I don't know
          what was happening. Finally, transferred the file to my unix
          box, then over to the w32 box.

          --
          rjbs
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:

            > for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k, no
            > matter what client I use, when I try to go to ftp.vim.org it
            > works, fine, then i click on pub, then vim, then unreleased,
            > finally when i click on 'pc' i get "connection reset", or
            > "connection closed" depending on which client I use. I tried
            > this from a couple of win2k machines, and saem result.
            >
            > does not make any diff. whether i do use 'passive mode' or
            > not.
            >
            > I end up downloading on my linux machine, then scp'ing to my
            > windows host, but this is highly annoying.
            >
            > does anyone else see this? know why?

            A few others complained about this as well. The strange thing is that
            it's always the "pc" directory. All other directories work just fine.

            I asked the maintainer of the ftp site, he suggested it could be a
            problem with your proxy server. If you don't have a proxy server, or
            another system using the same proxy works fine, it must be something
            else. But what?

            --
            Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

          • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
              At 10:36 a.m. 02/04/2002 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              >A few others complained about this as well. The strange thing is that
              >it's always the "pc" directory. All other directories work just fine.
              >
              >I asked the maintainer of the ftp site, he suggested it could be a
              >problem with your proxy server. If you don't have a proxy server, or
              >another system using the same proxy works fine, it must be something
              >else. But what?

              That's why I suggested using ncftp. The only way you can have the level of
              control you need to inter-operate with an FTP proxy server when using a
              win32 OS on your desktop machine is using a good command line client[1].
              And ncftp is among the better ones.

              BTW. At least in the case of my ISP, I stopped having problems with
              ftp.vim.org when I disabled passive FTP.

              [1] I have tried all the win32 ftp clients I am aware of, as in: (a) Go to
              a tucows mirror. (b) check the FTP clients page. (c) Download, install, try
              out, delete one by one. (d) Reinstall windows because 90% percent of the
              installers were created by amateurs and trashed the system registry.