Re: editting multiple files/tabstop in xml mode

  • Rajarshi Guha
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
      On Monday 01 April 2002 17:02, Kendall Shaw wrote:

      > 1. Open a file, then another, then another and switch between them
      > without using the gui, and without having to type in the names of
      > all the files I'm editing (e.g. not :args blah.txt blah2.txt
      > blah3.txt).

      :buffer

      > 2. Close a file (so that I can't switch to it) without exiting vim,
      > and without using the gui? For example, same as delete buffer in
      > the gui.

      :bd

      HTH,

      Rajarshi Guha | email: rajarshi@...
      417 Davey Laboratory | web : http://jijo.cjb.net
      Department of Chemistry | ICQ : 123242928
      Pennsylvania State University | AIM : LoverOfPanda
      GPG Fingerprint: DCCB 4D1A 5A8B 2F5A B5F6 1F9E CDC4 5574 9017 AF2A
      Public Key : http://pgp.mit.edu/
      Gravity brings me down.
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
        1. What about the following:

        vim -o3
        starts vim with 3 windows open

        :e file1.txt
        opens file1 in window 1 (ou don't need the gui for that)
        Of course, you must type the filename here so vim knows which file
        you're editing.
        2<Ctrl-W><Ctrl-W>
        :e file2.txt
        goes to window 2 and opens file2 there
        3<Ctrl-W><Ctrl-W>
        :e file3.txt
        opens file3 in window 3
        1<Ctrl-W><Ctrl-W>
        switches to window 1 (where file1 is being edited)
        etc.

        2. You don't need the gui to delete or wipe a buffer.
        see :h :bw

        3: I don't know

        4: maybe see :h 'indentexpr'