ftp.vim.org weirdness?

  • Denis Perelyubskiy
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hello,

      for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k, no
      matter what client I use, when I try to go to ftp.vim.org it
      works, fine, then i click on pub, then vim, then unreleased,
      finally when i click on 'pc' i get "connection reset", or
      "connection closed" depending on which client I use. I tried
      this from a couple of win2k machines, and saem result.

      does not make any diff. whether i do use 'passive mode' or
      not.

      I end up downloading on my linux machine, then scp'ing to my
      windows host, but this is highly annoying.

      does anyone else see this? know why?

      thanks,

      denis

      --
      // mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...>
      // icq : 12359698
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002

        Using a graphical client? *Sigh* Try the win32 binary at http://www.ncftp.com/

        --
        Alejandro López-Valencia
        http://dradul.tripod.com/

      • Denis Perelyubskiy
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          * P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <dradul@...> [01-Apr-02 17:13 -0800]:

          >At 01:51 p.m. 01/04/2002 -0800, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
          >>Hello,
          >>
          >>for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k,
          >>no matter what client I use, when I try to go to
          >>ftp.vim.org it works, fine, then i click on pub, then
          >>vim, then unreleased, finally when i click on 'pc' i get
          >>"connection reset", or "connection closed" depending on
          >>which client I use. I tried this from a couple of win2k
          >>machines, and saem result.
          >

          >Using a graphical client? *Sigh* Try the win32 binary at
          >http://www.ncftp.com/
          [...]

          thanks. I tried several, and they all seem to come up with
          the same result. command-line ftp is the same thing. I am
          beginning to suspect that maybe i was wrong, and it does
          work at home (esp. after David said it had worked just fine
          for him)

          I will ask again if I can't track this down.

          thanks,

          denis

          --
          // mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...>
          // icq : 12359698
          // PGP : http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~denisp/files/pgp.asc
        • Ricardo SIGNES
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
            On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 01:51:11PM -0800, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
            > for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k, no
            > matter what client I use, when I try to go to ftp.vim.org it
            > works, fine, then i click on pub, then vim, then unreleased,
            > finally when i click on 'pc' i get "connection reset", or
            > "connection closed" depending on which client I use. I tried
            > this from a couple of win2k machines, and saem result.

            I experienced the same problem several times. I don't know
            what was happening. Finally, transferred the file to my unix
            box, then over to the w32 box.

            --
            rjbs
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
              Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:

              > for a while now i've been experiencing this: on win2k, no
              > matter what client I use, when I try to go to ftp.vim.org it
              > works, fine, then i click on pub, then vim, then unreleased,
              > finally when i click on 'pc' i get "connection reset", or
              > "connection closed" depending on which client I use. I tried
              > this from a couple of win2k machines, and saem result.
              >
              > does not make any diff. whether i do use 'passive mode' or
              > not.
              >
              > I end up downloading on my linux machine, then scp'ing to my
              > windows host, but this is highly annoying.
              >
              > does anyone else see this? know why?

              A few others complained about this as well. The strange thing is that
              it's always the "pc" directory. All other directories work just fine.

              I asked the maintainer of the ftp site, he suggested it could be a
              problem with your proxy server. If you don't have a proxy server, or
              another system using the same proxy works fine, it must be something
              else. But what?

              --
              Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

            • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
                At 10:36 a.m. 02/04/2002 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                >A few others complained about this as well. The strange thing is that
                >it's always the "pc" directory. All other directories work just fine.
                >
                >I asked the maintainer of the ftp site, he suggested it could be a
                >problem with your proxy server. If you don't have a proxy server, or
                >another system using the same proxy works fine, it must be something
                >else. But what?

                That's why I suggested using ncftp. The only way you can have the level of
                control you need to inter-operate with an FTP proxy server when using a
                win32 OS on your desktop machine is using a good command line client[1].
                And ncftp is among the better ones.

                BTW. At least in the case of my ISP, I stopped having problems with
                ftp.vim.org when I disabled passive FTP.

                [1] I have tried all the win32 ftp clients I am aware of, as in: (a) Go to
                a tucows mirror. (b) check the FTP clients page. (c) Download, install, try
                out, delete one by one. (d) Reinstall windows because 90% percent of the
                installers were created by amateurs and trashed the system registry.