man page opening fails

  • Andrey R. Urazov
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hello,

      I have a problem when using :Man vim command. For some man pages it
      works ok while there are problems when displaying the others. I can get
      a part of the requested man page followed by a message telling that
      execution of the man page fetching chain failed. For example, as a
      result of executing of `:Man ddd' I get the following (the beginning
      of the man page which is displayed correctly is skipped):

      inferior GDB, DBX, Ladebug, XDB, JDB, Python debugger, or Perl debugger.

      DDD is invoked with the shell command ddd. You can open a program to be
      debugged using ‘File

      Error executing formatting or display command.
      System command (cd /usr/share/man && (echo ".ll 8.1i"; echo ".pl 11i";
      gunzip -c '/usr/share/man/man1/ddd.1.gz') | /usr/bin/gtbl |
      /usr/bin/nroff -mandoc | /usr/bin/less -isr) exited with status 36096.
      No manual entry for ddd

      That looks quite strange. And when I type

      :!(cd /usr/share/man && (echo ".ll 8.1i"; echo ".pl 11i";
      gunzip -c '/usr/share/man/man1/ddd.1.gz') | /usr/bin/gtbl |
      /usr/bin/nroff -mandoc | /usr/bin/less -isr)

      I get the whole page correctly displayed by less in the vim window.

      Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

      Yours sincerely, Andrey Urazov
      --
      Dogs just don't seem to be able to tell the difference between important people
      and the rest of us.