Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: vim hangs

Expand Messages
  • Bram Moolenaar
    ... You might want to try version 6.1, it includes hundreds of bug fixes. ... No file was attached... -- How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity: 4. Put your
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      Andrey R. Urazov wrote:

      > I'm using the following version of vim:
      >
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0 (2001 Sep 26, compiled Mar 24 2002 09:17:24)

      You might want to try version 6.1, it includes hundreds of bug fixes.

      > and have encountered a situation when vim hangs. The bug is active when
      > vim is in `cindent' mode. To hang the editor you can get the file that
      > is attached, put the cursor between two double quotes after `("', press
      > `s' and then `<Enter>' to split the line in two. This gives rise to an
      > indefinite loop which consumes a lot of system resources and can only
      > be interrupted by SIGKILL.

      No file was attached...

      --
      How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
      4. Put your garbage can on your desk and label it "in".

      /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net \\\
      /// Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim \\\
      \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org ///
      \\\ Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org ///
    • Andrey R. Urazov
      ... Thanks for the advance, Bram, and for this lovely editor. I ll try that version. ... Sorry for that. It s my desease to promise to attach something and
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29, 2002
      • 0 Attachment
        On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 12:01:11PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > Andrey R. Urazov wrote:
        >
        > > I'm using the following version of vim:
        > >
        > > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0 (2001 Sep 26, compiled Mar 24 2002 09:17:24)
        >
        > You might want to try version 6.1, it includes hundreds of bug fixes.
        Thanks for the advance, Bram, and for this lovely editor. I'll try that
        version.
        > > and have encountered a situation when vim hangs. The bug is active when
        > > vim is in `cindent' mode. To hang the editor you can get the file that
        > > is attached, put the cursor between two double quotes after `("', press
        > > `s' and then `<Enter>' to split the line in two. This gives rise to an
        > > indefinite loop which consumes a lot of system resources and can only
        > > be interrupted by SIGKILL.
        >
        > No file was attached...
        Sorry for that. It's my desease to promise to attach something and then
        forget about that. Fixed now.


        Yours sincerely, Andrey Urazov
        --
        If people see that you mean them no harm, they'll never hurt you, nine
        times out of ten!
        --
        Friday, March 29, 2002, 07:51:08 PM +0600 - Andrey R. Urazov (mailto:coola@...)
      • Benji Fisher
        ... I cannot reproduce the problem with vim 6.0.024 (i.e., 6.0 with the first 24 patches). Either this was fixed by one of the early patches or there is
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 2002
        • 0 Attachment
          On Friday, March 29, 2002, at 08:53 AM, Andrey R. Urazov wrote:

          > On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 12:01:11PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >>
          >> Andrey R. Urazov wrote:
          >>
          >>> I'm using the following version of vim:
          >>>
          >>> VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0 (2001 Sep 26, compiled Mar 24 2002 09:17:24)
          >>
          >> You might want to try version 6.1, it includes hundreds of bug fixes.
          > Thanks for the advance, Bram, and for this lovely editor. I'll try that
          > version.
          >>> and have encountered a situation when vim hangs. The bug is active when
          >>> vim is in `cindent' mode. To hang the editor you can get the file that
          >>> is attached, put the cursor between two double quotes after `("', press
          >>> `s' and then `<Enter>' to split the line in two. This gives rise to an
          >>> indefinite loop which consumes a lot of system resources and can only
          >>> be interrupted by SIGKILL.

          I cannot reproduce the problem with vim 6.0.024 (i.e., 6.0 with the
          first 24 patches). Either this was fixed by one of the early patches or
          there is something in your startup files. Have you tried

          % vim -u NONE q
          : set cindent

          yet?

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Bram Moolenaar
          ... I can t reproduce it, not with 6.0 or 6.1. If it still appears in 6.1, please describe exactly how to reproduce the problem. -- How To Keep A Healthy
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29, 2002
          • 0 Attachment
            Andrey R. Urazov wrote:

            > > > and have encountered a situation when vim hangs. The bug is active when
            > > > vim is in `cindent' mode. To hang the editor you can get the file that
            > > > is attached, put the cursor between two double quotes after `("', press
            > > > `s' and then `<Enter>' to split the line in two. This gives rise to an
            > > > indefinite loop which consumes a lot of system resources and can only
            > > > be interrupted by SIGKILL.
            > >
            > > No file was attached...
            > Sorry for that. It's my desease to promise to attach something and then
            > forget about that. Fixed now.

            I can't reproduce it, not with 6.0 or 6.1. If it still appears in 6.1,
            please describe exactly how to reproduce the problem.

            --
            How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:
            12. Sing along at the opera.

            /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net \\\
            /// Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim \\\
            \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org ///
            \\\ Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org ///
          • Andrey R. Urazov
            ... Now I cannot reproduce it as well. Yesterday I came across the problem many times when breaking too long lines of `for loops and I tested the attached
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 29, 2002
            • 0 Attachment
              On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 04:04:22PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > I can't reproduce it, not with 6.0 or 6.1. If it still appears in 6.1,
              > please describe exactly how to reproduce the problem.
              Now I cannot reproduce it as well. Yesterday I came across the
              problem many times when breaking too long lines of `for' loops and I
              tested the attached file many times and at those times vim always hung
              even when executed with `-u NONE' after the setting of `cindent'. But I
              remember that when I downloaded this version of vim I broke too long
              lines with cindent and all was ok, so now I just can imagine what caused
              yesterday hangs.

              Sorry for bothering you with a nonexistent or at least ephemeral
              problem.


              Yours sincerely, Andrey Urazov
              --
              If you stand on your head, you will get footprints in your hair.
              --
              Friday, March 29, 2002, 10:59:16 PM +0600 - Andrey R. Urazov (mailto:coola@...)
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.