Re: Re[2]: fixed-width fonts download

  • Denis Perelyubskiy
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2002
      * Ron Aaron <ron@...> [04-Mar-02 12:55 -0800]:

      >Alan G Isaac <aisaac@...> writes:
      >>
      >>Just as you said:
      >> http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Monospace/MonospaceTTF.zip
      >>

      >But it doesn't show up in the vim font list!?!

      :) I had the same problem...

      denis

      --
      // mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...>
      // icq : 12359698
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2002
        At 01:28 p.m. 04/03/2002 -0800, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
        > * Ron Aaron <ron@...> [04-Mar-02 12:55 -0800]:
        > >
        > >Alan G Isaac <aisaac@...> writes:
        > >>
        > >>Just as you said:
        > >> http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Monospace/MonospaceTTF.zip
        > >>

        > >But it doesn't show up in the vim font list!?!
        >
        >:) I had the same problem...
        >
        >denis

        Ah!!! Actually I haven't used it myself, but I was aware of its existence
        because I downloaded the Caslon font a while ago and hacked it to use it
        with both groff and TeX in windows (yup, some of us are still troffers
        disguised as TeX users :).

        The problem with the Monospace fonts is a defect (among the very many) that
        have TrueType fonts generated with Fontographer, namely that it is unable
        to tag a fixed-width font as such (and according to specs it has to be
        tagged so in both the OS/2 and post tables[1]). There are two tools that I
        can recommend because they are free or don't have a cost beyond a thank you
        (for now at least :).

        The free tool is a set of perl scripts and modules available from CPAN that
        among other things, allow you to change the attributes of the OS/2 table to
        mark the font as fixed-width. Off the top of my head because I haven't used
        them in a long time, the package name is Font::TrueType or something like
        it. If you obtain the latest version, 1.4.x or later, make sure to grab the
        lat of the 1.2.x versions because it contains package files that are not
        included in latter versions. A problem with the scripts is that they reset
        the font embedding flag to none so it is always a last required step to
        restore the original embedding settings.

        The thank you tool, available to win32 and Linux, is ttfedit which you can
        obtain from its author as beta tester. Go to http://www.truetex.com/ and
        follow the instructions there. I rather direct you to the web site because,
        it is not for the faint of heart and you better examine the manual before
        committing yourself to it. This is what I prefer myself.

        [1] You need to become familiar with the TrueType specs anyhow to use these
        tools properly. I'd say, start with http://fonts.apple.com/ for the
        original and still authoritative version, and then follow to
        http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ for the rest of the information you need.

        Alejo

        --
        Alejandro López-Valencia