Re: pasting from 'clipboard'

  • Michael Naumann
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
      03.03.2002 21:30:23, Nick Wilson <nick@...> wrote:

      • gumnos
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
          > >Is it possible to put a line from the clipboard?
          > One way is
          > "*p

          you can use the "* register for all your cutting and pasting needs...not
          just pasting from the register. :) It also works nicely for transferring
          between multiple running copies of vim. If you look at ":help
          gui-clipboard", you'll see that you can add the "unnamed" option to the
          'clipboard' option to make these the same register so you don't have to
          prepend "* in front of all your operations. However, after trying this, I
          found it easier to specify the "* when I meant it rather than using the
          system clipboard for all my petty changes, making the contents of my system
          clipboard a lot less effort to predict. I use editing commands that used
          the default register without thinking, only to discover that when I pasted
          in another application, I got the contents of an "in process" edit rather
          than what I really wanted. And, "* isn't really that hard to type anyway
          when you want it :)

          -tkc
        • Denis Perelyubskiy
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
            * Nick Wilson <nick@...> [03-Mar-02 12:29 -0800]:
            [...]
            >Is it possible to put a line from the clipboard? I use
            >Vim for my mail editor and I'm sick of typing long urls
            >when in a graphical mailclient I'd just copy from the
            >browser and paste.
            [...]

            shift-insert works for me. I like it more then "*p :)

            denis

            --
            // mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...>
            // icq : 12359698
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
              On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 09:30:23PM +0100, Nick Wilson wrote:
              > Is it possible to put a line from the clipboard?
              > I use Vim for my mail editor and I'm sick of typing long urls when in a
              > graphical mailclient I'd just copy from the browser and paste.

              If you are using a windowed environment, there may be a built in way to
              cut-and-paste. In KDE, you can select the text and then middle-click to
              paste. I always check to make sure I am in insert mode before I do
              however...

              Jonathan
            • Rimon Barr
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2002
                >* and then Michael Naumann declared....
                >> >Is it possible to put a line from the clipboard?
                >> >I use Vim for my mail editor and I'm sick of typing long urls when in a
                >> >graphical mailclient I'd just copy from the browser and paste.
                >> >
                >> >See what I mean?
                >>
                >> One way is
                >> "*p
                >
                >Great, thanks very much, Bit of a chore but it appears to do the job.

                Nick,

                It's not the most platform-compatible way to do things, but I put the
                following in the my .vimrc file:
                " cut, copy, paste
                vmap <C-X> "+x
                vmap <C-C> "+y
                nmap <C-V> "+gP
                imap <C-V> <C-O>"+gP

                That maps control-x, control-c, and control-v to cut, copy, paste. Note,
                that you can vmap Control-V as well, if you would like it to replace
                current selections, but I personally don't like this behavior. I hope that
                helps.

                All the best,
                Rimon.
                --
                * Rimon Barr Ph.D. student, Computer Science, Cornell University

                +---- -- Arnold Bennett