OT: CC bashing Re: clearcase eclipsed files are lost

  • Michael P. Soulier
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
      On 01/03/02 Ron Aaron did speaketh:

      > Ah, ClearCase! Sure, it's expensive, but at least it's slow!!

      :)

      They're forcing us to transition to it at work, and initial trials are not
      good. They basically said what you did.

      Mike

      --
      Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@...>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
      of nerd-like effort." -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
        Michael P. Soulier <michael.soulier@...> writes:

        > They're forcing us to transition to it at work, and initial trials are not
        >good. They basically said what you did.

        The problem isn't really Clearcase per-se. The problem is that the 'dynamic
        view' requires a *lot* of network traffic, and when the network isn't super
        reliable and *very* fast, it doesn't support very many users each with a
        dynamic view, each doing compiles. At GoXXXXX, where I recently was a victim
        of downsizing, we had 60 developers banging on our 100MBit network. We *used*
        to complain that the CVS update was slow. Hah! The *regular build* with
        Clearcase was three to four times slower, depending on network usage.

        It's not a bad product, not at all -- just be careful how you use it!

        Of course now, I would be happy to have a *job*, even one working with
        Clearcase :-|

        Best regards,

        Ron