fixed-width fonts download

  • Kontra, Gergely
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi!

      If you find fonts (can be used with vim) please drop me the url, or the
      ttf, please.

      I don't like the available fonts.

      +-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
      | Email: kgergely@..., kgergely@... |
        * Kontra, Gergely <kgergely@...> [01-Mar-02 11:37 -0800]:

        >If you find fonts (can be used with vim) please drop me the url, or the
        >ttf, please.

        win32 :

        http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

        My favorite one, since very easy to tell zeroes from letter
        'oh', and letter 'l' from number '1', etc. Very practical!

        Also, if you look on groups.yahoo.com you may find couple
        more messages on the issue. I seem to remember this coming
        up once in a while.

        denis

        --
        // mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...>
        // icq : 12359698
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
          Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...> writes:

          >http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm
          >
          >My favorite one, since very easy to tell zeroes from letter
          >'oh', and letter 'l' from number '1', etc. Very practical!

          It's a good one. I would like to find a good Unicode font to use on Windows!
          'Courier New' is a pitifully ugly font...

          Anyone know of a monospaced Unicode TTF ?

          (on Linux, I use my own font which is a modified GNU-Unifont. It's great :-))

          Alternatively, does anyone know how to convert a BDF (Unix font) to a Windows
          font? I don't think a windows FON font can be a Unicode font, actually, so I
          don't know how my precious BDF file could become a FON file.

          <sigh>

          Ron
        • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2002
            At 11:02 p.m. 02/03/2002 -0800, Ron Aaron wrote:
            >Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...> writes:
            > >
            > >http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm
            > >
            > >My favorite one, since very easy to tell zeroes from letter
            > >'oh', and letter 'l' from number '1', etc. Very practical!
            >
            >It's a good one. I would like to find a good Unicode font to use on Windows!
            >'Courier New' is a pitifully ugly font...
            >
            >Anyone know of a monospaced Unicode TTF ?

            See here: http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Unicode.html

            Although it may not seem at first, there are TrueType versions as well.

            >(on Linux, I use my own font which is a modified GNU-Unifont. It's great :-))
            >
            >Alternatively, does anyone know how to convert a BDF (Unix font) to a Windows
            >font? I don't think a windows FON font can be a Unicode font, actually, so I
            >don't know how my precious BDF file could become a FON file.

            Don't waste your time. FON bitmaps are not officially supported in WinME
            nor later WinNT versions (NT5 aka Win 2000, nor NT6 aka WinXP); they are
            present as a hack to make installation and command shell windows sort of
            work. Rather, you can explore the idea of creating a TrueType font that
            contains your BDF font as an SBIT without an outline, this font would work
            in win 98 and onwards without trouble if you add an appropriate UNICODE
            CMAP table and the needed OS/2. The concept may sound strange, but it is a
            very common practice in the CJK world.

            --
            Alejandro López-Valencia
            http://dradul.tripod.com/
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2002
              On Sun, 03 Mar 2002 09:19:45 -0500 "P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia" <palopez@...> wrote:
              > See here: http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Unicode.html
              > Although it may not seem at first, there are TrueType versions as well.

              OK, where. I see the Caslon Roman TTF, but nothing else.
              Is the monotype font available as a TTF, and if so how?

              Thanks,
              Alan Isaac
            • Denis Perelyubskiy
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2002
                * Alan G Isaac <aisaac@...> [04-Mar-02 08:31 -0800]:

                >On Sun, 03 Mar 2002 09:19:45 -0500 "P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia" <palopez@...> wrote:
                >> See here: http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Unicode.html
                >> Although it may not seem at first, there are TrueType versions as well.
                >
                >OK, where. I see the Caslon Roman TTF, but nothing else.
                >Is the monotype font available as a TTF, and if so how?

                I saw it there somewhere. I think try clicking on the
                monotype name, and then it'll take you to another page with
                that font.

                denis

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2002

                  On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:15:30 -0800 Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...> wrote:
                  > I saw it there somewhere. I think try clicking on the
                  > monotype name, and then it'll take you to another page with
                  > that font.

                  Just as you said:
                  http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Monospace/MonospaceTTF.zip

                  Cheers,
                  Alan
                • Ron Aaron
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4, 2002
                    Alan G Isaac <aisaac@...> writes:

                    >Just as you said:
                    > http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Monospace/MonospaceTTF.zip

                    But it doesn't show up in the vim font list!?!

                    Ron