Re: tabs in gvim?

  • Michael Naumann
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      On Friday 01 March 2002 19:21, Press, Michael wrote:
      > Is there any way for gvim to show each open file with it's own tab? (like
      > UltraEdit)
      >
      > Would be much more convenient than dealing with :files and :n#2.

      Are you aware of the wonderful :sp command (and it's whole family)
      Read all about it under
      :help windows

      > Thanks,
      > Michael

      Your Welcome, Michael
    • Press, Michael
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        Yes, but I don't particularly like split windows - I want each window to be
        full size. I edit multiple files all the time using :files, and I really
        just want tabs across the top, with each tab showing a filename. Then I
        could use CTRL-TAB and CTRL-SHIFT-TAB to move from file to file.

        Many other editors and IDE's use this mechanism.

        Michael

        On Friday 01 March 2002 19:21, Press, Michael wrote:
        > Is there any way for gvim to show each open file with it's own tab? (like
        > UltraEdit)
        >
        > Would be much more convenient than dealing with :files and :n#2.

        Are you aware of the wonderful :sp command (and it's whole family)
        Read all about it under
        :help windows

        > Thanks,
        > Michael

        Your Welcome, Michael
      • Dan Sharp
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          >From: "Press, Michael" <Michael.Press@...>
          >
          >Yes, but I don't particularly like split windows - I want each window
          >to be full size. I edit multiple files all the time using :files, and
          >I really just want tabs across the top, with each tab showing a
          >filename. Then I could use CTRL-TAB and CTRL-SHIFT-TAB to move from
          >file to file.
          >
          >Many other editors and IDE's use this mechanism.

          Take a look at minibufexpl.vim on VimOnline, which does what you ask,
          including the CTRL-TAB and CTRL-SHIFT-TAB movement. The direct link is:

          Dan Sharp

        • Press, Michael
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
            That's pretty cool! Not quite as attractive as true GUI tabs, but it does
            have the functionality I'm looking for.

            Thanks!

            >Yes, but I don't particularly like split windows - I want each window
            >to be full size. I edit multiple files all the time using :files, and
            >I really just want tabs across the top, with each tab showing a
            >filename. Then I could use CTRL-TAB and CTRL-SHIFT-TAB to move from
            >file to file.
            >
            >Many other editors and IDE's use this mechanism.

            Take a look at minibufexpl.vim on VimOnline, which does what you ask,
            including the CTRL-TAB and CTRL-SHIFT-TAB movement. The direct link is:

            Dan Sharp

          • Jonathan D Johnston
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2002
              [Edited into chronological order]
              [Michael Press]
              > Yes, but I don't particularly like split windows - I want each
              > window to be full size. I edit multiple files all the time using
              > :files, and I really just want tabs across the top, with each tab
              > showing a filename. Then I could use CTRL-TAB and CTRL-SHIFT-TAB
              > to move from file to file.
              >
              > Many other editors and IDE's use this mechanism.

              [Dan Sharp]
              > Take a look at minibufexpl.vim on VimOnline, which does what you
              > ask, including the CTRL-TAB and CTRL-SHIFT-TAB movement. The direct
              > link is:
              >
              > http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=159

              [Michael Press]
              > That's pretty cool! Not quite as attractive as true GUI tabs, but
              > it does have the functionality I'm looking for.

              If you are using the GTK+, Motif, or Win32 GUI, there is an easy way
              to get buffer tabs that are pretty close to what you want. Simply tear
              off the "Buffers" menu and drag it outside of the main gVim window.

              :help tear-off-menus

              :help :tearoff
              Scroll back a several lines to see all of section "6.3 Tearoff Menus"
              for a description of how to use tearoff menus. From personal
              experience, *click* on the dotted line, don't drag it. *Then*, you can
              drag the resulting window.

              To use the TAB key as you described:
              :map <C-Tab> :bnext<CR>
              :map <C-S-Tab> :bprevious<CR>

              HTH,
              Jonathan D Johnston
              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • Sven Guckes
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                * Press, Michael <Michael.Press@...> [020301 18:21]:
                > Is there any way for gvim to show each open
                > file with it's own tab? (like UltraEdit)
                > Would be much more convenient
                > than dealing with :files and :n#2.

                are you aware of the commands like ":b str"
                (where "str" is a substring of the filename)?

                anyway - I usually have some 50 to 100 buffers
                open - and I'd need a bigger monitor
                if I wanted a tab for each one of them. ;-)

                Sven [not using the GUI anyway. who needs this?]
              • ananth nivarti
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                  Hi,
                  If i have the directory permission i can overwrite
                  the write file permissions by w!. How can i avoid
                  this. Is there any settings by which i cant overwrite
                  a file even with w!. Some one please help me.
                  --
                  anant

                  http://sports.yahoo.com
                • Michael Naumann
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                    On Monday 04 March 2002 15:08, ananth nivarti wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    > If i have the directory permission i can overwrite
                    > the write file permissions by w!. How can i avoid
                    > this. Is there any settings by which i cant overwrite
                    > a file even with w!. Some one please help me.
                    > --
                    > anant

                    I think NO. And what should it be good for?
                    w! at last is designed to explicitely do this kind of job.
                    You should get used to not use :w! but :w in most cases and
                    :w! only in the rare cases where you really need it.

                    HTH, Michael
                  • Bram Moolenaar
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                      Ananth Nivarti wrote:

                      > If i have the directory permission i can overwrite
                      > the write file permissions by w!. How can i avoid
                      > this. Is there any settings by which i cant overwrite
                      > a file even with w!. Some one please help me.

                      Add the 'W' flag to the 'cpoptions' option:

                      :set cpo+=W

                      120. You ask a friend, "What's that big shiny thing?" He says, "It's the sun."

                    • Press, Michael
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                        Sven Guckes wrote:
                        > are you aware of the commands like ":b str"
                        > (where "str" is a substring of the filename)?

                        I like to be able to see the buffer names without
                        having to execute further commands. I use
                        MiniBufExplorer to show the buffers, and I
                        created some key mappings to do :bnext and
                        :bprevious (but skipping the MiniBufExplorer window),
                        but it sure would look much nicer if there were real
                        Win32 GUI tabs.

                        > anyway - I usually have some 50 to 100 buffers

                        I usually have 3-5, max 8, so tabs provide a nice
                        visual indication; I also find they're much faster to
                        navigate (especially with my ^N and ^P mappings) than
                        having to recall filenames.

                        > open - and I'd need a bigger monitor
                        > if I wanted a tab for each one of them. ;-)

                        Think of Excel sheet tabs - only 1 row is shown, and
                        arrows allow scrolling the row left or right. Pretty
                        standard GUI mechanism.

                        Michael

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5, 2002
                          * Press, Michael <Michael.Press@...> [020304 23:34]:
                          > I like to be able to see the buffer names
                          > without having to execute further commands.
                          > .. it sure would look much nicer
                          > if there were real Win32 GUI tabs. ..
                          > I also find they're much faster to navigate
                          > (especially with my ^N and ^P mappings)
                          > than having to recall filenames.

                          well, if mappings can make you go faster
                          then why no add a mapping for ":ls" ?

                          this will show you the filename -
                          and all you need then is ":b N"
                          which you can select like this: