Re: clearcase eclipsed files are lost

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
      Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> writes:

      >I also use ClearCase with HP-UX, so when you two figure this out, would
      >you please post a summary here? Thanks.

      And I also had problems w/ ClearCase.

      Ah, ClearCase! Sure, it's expensive, but at least it's slow!!
    • Brandon Metcalf
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
        Rainer.Stransky@... writes:

        || i am working in a development enviroment und hp-ux and clearcase.
        || In special cases a file in clearcase has to be made to view private and after
        || this file is eclipsed (in do not exactly know what this means in terms of a f
        || system).

        There is no reason in ClearCase to intentionally eclipse a file element
        or to have one eclipsed to have write access. If you are getting
        eclipsed elements, you are doing something wrong.

        Write access to elements is achieved by checking out the element which
        gives you a view private file, but doesn't eclipse anything.

        Brandon
        --
        And stop calling me Shirley
        --Doctor Rumack, Airplane
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
          Brandon Metcalf wrote:

          > Rainer.Stransky@... writes:
          >
          > || i am working in a development enviroment und hp-ux and clearcase.
          > || In special cases a file in clearcase has to be made to view private and after
          > || this file is eclipsed (in do not exactly know what this means in terms of a f
          > || system).
          >
          > There is no reason in ClearCase to intentionally eclipse a file element
          > or to have one eclipsed to have write access. If you are getting
          > eclipsed elements, you are doing something wrong.
          >
          > Write access to elements is achieved by checking out the element which
          > gives you a view private file, but doesn't eclipse anything.

          Thanks, that helps me a lot.

          But without a joke. I have to work in a development enviroment, in which all
          checkouts (in other views, by other guys) are locked.
          So there is no chance for me to do a small quick change on a source without that
          tricky workaoround to get a eclipsed private file by:
          mv file.cc file.cc.priv
          cleartool co .
          cleartool rm file.cc
          mv file.cc.priv file.cc
          cleartool unco .

          That all will be done in a nice perl scirpt. All guys here in this enviroment are
          working that way.

          So my warranted question is, how to setup vim (if possible) to avoid losing the
          file, by open it with vim6.0

          I am not sure, but i think that behaviour was another one with vim5.4 !?

          Rainer

          > Brandon
          > --
          > And stop calling me Shirley
          > --Doctor Rumack, Airplane
        • Brandon Metcalf
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
            Rainer.Stransky@... writes:

            '' But without a joke. I have to work in a development enviroment, in which all
            '' checkouts (in other views, by other guys) are locked.
            '' So there is no chance for me to do a small quick change on a source without t
            '' tricky workaoround to get a eclipsed private file by:
            '' mv file.cc file.cc.priv
            '' cleartool co .
            '' cleartool rm file.cc
            '' mv file.cc.priv file.cc
            '' cleartool unco .
            ''
            '' That all will be done in a nice perl scirpt. All guys here in this enviroment
            '' working that way.
            ''
            '' So my warranted question is, how to setup vim (if possible) to avoid losing t
            '' file, by open it with vim6.0

            I realize that doesn't solve your vim problem, but you are creating the
            situation by using a broken workflow. Why do you need to work in a view
            other than your own? That's the whole point of a view; it's supposed to
            be your workspace.

            If you absolutely have to share a view, then make them group writable by
            setting your umask to 002 when the view is created.

            Even if I'm not understanding you correctly, the fact that you are
            using this Perl script to achieve the commands above demonstrates that
            your process is broken.

            Brandon
            --
            And stop calling me Shirley
            --Doctor Rumack, Airplane
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
              On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 12:52:09PM -0600, Brandon Metcalf wrote:

              > I realize that doesn't solve your vim problem, but you are creating the
              > situation by using a broken workflow. Why do you need to work in a view
              > other than your own? That's the whole point of a view; it's supposed to
              > be your workspace.

              > Even if I'm not understanding you correctly, the fact that you are
              > using this Perl script to achieve the commands above demonstrates that
              > your process is broken.

              Ditto what Brandon said. We do multiple-developer development all the
              time without stepping on each other and never have to go through the
              hoops that you are. If you want to make a quick change to a locked
              file, check out an unreserved copy until the other guy checks in his
              changes. If you have multiple people working on the same set of files
              at the same time, each person should really be checking out each file
              onto his private branch first. That way the /main/LATEST version is not
              locked. As each person finishes his changes, he first checks his file
              into his private branch, then merges any parallel changes from the main
              branch onto his private branch, fixes anything that broke, and merges
              the combined changes back to the main branch. ClearCase is designed for
              just this type of development and used properly it works very well.

              Gary

              --
              Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
              garyjohn@... | Spokane, Washington, USA
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                On 01/03/02 Ron Aaron did speaketh:

                > Ah, ClearCase! Sure, it's expensive, but at least it's slow!!

                :)

                They're forcing us to transition to it at work, and initial trials are not
                good. They basically said what you did.

                Mike

                --
                Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@...>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
                of nerd-like effort." -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Michael P. Soulier <michael.soulier@...> writes:

                  > They're forcing us to transition to it at work, and initial trials are not
                  >good. They basically said what you did.

                  The problem isn't really Clearcase per-se. The problem is that the 'dynamic
                  view' requires a *lot* of network traffic, and when the network isn't super
                  reliable and *very* fast, it doesn't support very many users each with a
                  dynamic view, each doing compiles. At GoXXXXX, where I recently was a victim
                  of downsizing, we had 60 developers banging on our 100MBit network. We *used*
                  to complain that the CVS update was slow. Hah! The *regular build* with
                  Clearcase was three to four times slower, depending on network usage.

                  It's not a bad product, not at all -- just be careful how you use it!

                  Of course now, I would be happy to have a *job*, even one working with
                  Clearcase :-|

                  Best regards,

                  Ron