newbie vim 6.0 questions

  • Peter Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
      hello,

      I had been using vim 5.8 with great success and recently upgraded my cygwin
      install which included vim 6.0. I started having a few problems getting 6.0
      to behave as 5.8 seemed to by default...perhaps someone can help me with a
      few simple questions?

      If someone has a list of option settings that just makes 6.0 work as 5.8 did
      by default, that'd be greatly appreciated...

      I have had a bit of trouble getting the multi level undo to work the way I
      remember it working in 5.8. I used to be able to just keep hitting 'u', and
      changes would keeping rolling backwards. I have tried setting the ul option
      to no avail...

      I can't seem to find the correct option setting to make cursor keys work in
      insert mode...

      I can't seem to get the cursor keys to work for recalling searches when in
      search mode either...maybe I don't have the history settings right?

      here is my .exrc:
      ---------------
      set nu
      set vb
      set ic
      set nohlsearch
      set ff=dos
      set background=dark
      syntax on
      set ru
      set viminfo='1000,f1,\"500,:20
      set ffs=unix,dos
      ----------------

      any help greatly appreciated, particularly if there's a set of option
      settings that were 'on' by default in earlier versions but off now that
      someone could clue me in on. VIM is fantastic, but I've struggled a bit
      trying to get 6.0 to behave for me on Win2k under cygwin.

      thanks very much,
      peter

      here are my complete option settings if interested:

      noautoindent foldlevel=0 mousemodel=extend tabstop=8
      noautoread foldlevelstart=-1 mousetime=500 tagbsearch
      noautowrite foldmethod=manual number taglength=0
      noautowriteall foldminlines=1 nopaste notagrelative
      background=dark foldnestmax=20 pastetoggle=
      tags=./tags,tags
      backspace= formatoptions=vt patchexpr= tagstack
      nobackup formatprg= patchmode= term=cygwin
      backupcopy=yes nogdefault previewheight=12 termencoding=
      backupext=~ helpheight=20 nopreviewwindow noterse
      nobinary nohidden printdevice= textauto
      nobomb history=0 printfont=courier notextmode
      bufhidden= nohlsearch printoptions= textwidth=0
      buflisted noicon noreadonly thesaurus=
      buftype= iconstring= remap notildeop
      cdpath=,, ignorecase report=2 timeout
      cedit= iminsert=0 ruler
      timeoutlen=1000
      charconvert= imsearch=0 rulerformat= notitle
      nocindent includeexpr= scroll=31 titlelen=85
      cinoptions= noincsearch noscrollbind titlestring=
      cmdheight=1 indentexpr= scrolljump=1 nottimeout
      cmdwinheight=7 noinfercase scrolloff=0 ttimeoutlen=-1
      columns=91 noinsertmode nosecure ttybuiltin
      compatible isprint=@,161-255 selectmode= nottyfast
      noconfirm joinspaces shell=sh ttymouse=
      debug= key= shellcmdflag=-c ttyscroll=999
      nodelcombine keymodel= shellquote= ttytype=cygwin
      dictionary= keywordprg=man shellxquote=
      undolevels=1000
      nodiff langmenu= noshiftround
      updatecount=200
      diffexpr= laststatus=1 shiftwidth=8
      updatetime=4000
      diffopt=filler nolazyredraw shortmess= verbose=0
      nodigraph nolinebreak noshortname virtualedit=
      display= lines=63 showbreak= visualbell
      eadirection=both nolisp noshowcmd warn
      noedcompatible nolist noshowfulltag noweirdinvert
      encoding=latin1 listchars=eol:$ noshowmatch whichwrap=
      endofline loadplugins noshowmode wildchar=^E
      equalalways magic sidescroll=0 wildcharm=0
      equalprg= makeef= sidescrolloff=0 wildignore=
      noerrorbells makeprg=make nosmartcase nowildmenu
      noesckeys matchtime=5 nosmartindent wildmode=full
      eventignore= maxfuncdepth=100 nosmarttab winheight=1
      noexpandtab maxmapdepth=1000 softtabstop=0 winminheight=1
      noexrc maxmem=1048575 nosplitbelow winminwidth=1
      fileencoding= maxmemtot=1048575 nosplitright winwidth=20
      fileformat=unix menuitems=25 startofline wrap
      filetype=conf nomodeline statusline= wrapmargin=0
      foldclose= modelines=5 suffixesadd= wrapscan
      foldcolumn=0 modifiable swapfile write
      foldenable nomodified swapsync=fsync nowriteany
      foldexpr=0 nomore switchbuf= writebackup
      foldignore=# mouse= syntax=conf writedelay=0
      backupdir=.,~/tmp,~/
      backupskip=/tmp/*,/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/psmith/LOCALS~1/Temp/*
      breakat= ^I!@*-+;:,./?
      cinkeys=0{,0},0),:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
      cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch
      comments=s1:/*,mb:*,ex:*/,://,b:#,:%,:XCOMM,n:>,fb:-
      commentstring=/*%s*/
      complete=.,w,b,u,t,i
      cpoptions=aAbBcCdDeEfFijJkKlLmnoOprsStuwWxy$!%*<
      define=^#\s*define
      directory=.,~/tmp,/var/tmp,/tmp
      errorfile=errors.err
      errorformat=%*[^"]"%f"%*\D%l: %m,"%f"%*\D%l: %m,%-G%f:%l: (Each undeclared
      identifier is
      reported only once,%-G%f:%l: for each function it appears
      in.),%f:%l:%m,"%f"\, line %l%*\D%
      c%*[^ ] %m,%D%*\a[%*\d]: Entering directory `%f',%X%*\a[%*\d]: Leaving
      directory `%f',%DMak
      ing %*\a in %f
      fileencodings=ucs-bom
      fileformats=unix,dos
      fillchars=vert:|,fold:-
      foldmarker={{{,}}}
      foldopen=block,hor,mark,percent,quickfix,search,tag,undo
      foldtext=foldtext()
      grepformat=%f:%l:%m,%f:%l%m,%f %l%m
      grepprg=grep -n $* /dev/null
      helpfile=/usr/share/vim/vim60/doc/help.txt

      highlight=8:SpecialKey,@:NonText,d:Directory,e:ErrorMsg,i:IncSearch,l:Search
      ,m:MoreMsg,M:
      ModeMsg,n:LineNr,r:Question,s:StatusLine,S:StatusLineNC,c:VertSplit,t:Title,
      v:Visual,V:Visu
      alNOS,w:WarningMsg,W:WildMenu,f:Folded,F:FoldColumn,A:DiffAdd,C:DiffChange,D
      :DiffDelete,T:D
      iffText
      include=^#\s*include
      indentkeys=0{,0},:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
      isfname=@,48-57,/,.,-,_,+,,,#,$,%,~,=
      isident=@,48-57,_,192-255
      iskeyword=@,48-57,_

      lispwords=defun,define,defmacro,set!,lambda,if,case,let,flet,let*,letrec,do,
      do*,define-sy
      ntax,let-syntax,letrec-syntax,destructuring-bind,defpackage,defparameter,def
      struct,deftype,
      defvar,do-all-symbols,do-external-symbols,do-symbols,dolist,dotimes,ecase,et
      ypecase,eval-wh
      en,labels,macrolet,multiple-value-bind,multiple-value-call,multiple-value-pr
      og1,multiple-va
      lue-setq,prog1,progv,typecase,unless,unwind-protect,when,with-input-from-str
      ing,with-open-f
      ile,with-open-stream,with-output-to-string,with-package-iterator,define-cond
      ition,handler-b
      ind,handler-case,restart-bind,restart-case,with-simple-restart,store-value,u
      se-value,muffle
      -warning,abort,continue,with-slots,with-slots*,with-accessors,with-accessors
      *,defclass,defm
      ethod,print-unreadable-object
      matchpairs=(:),{:},[:]
      nrformats=octal,hex
      paragraphs=IPLPPPQPP LIpplpipbp
      path=.,/usr/include,,
      printexpr=system('lpr' . (&printdevice == '' ? '' : ' -P' . &printdevice)
      . ' ' . v:fname
      _in) . delete(v:fname_in) + v:shell_error
      printheader=%<%f%h%m%=Page %N

      runtimepath=~/.vim,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/vim60,/usr/share/v
      im/vimfiles/a
      fter,~/.vim/after
      scrollopt=ver,jump
      sections=SHNHH HUnhsh
      selection=inclusive
      sessionoptions=blank,buffers,curdir,folds,help,options,winsize
      shellpipe=2>&1| tee
      shellredir=>%s 2>&1
      suffixes=.bak,~,.o,.h,.info,.swp,.obj
      titleold=Thanks for flying Vim
      viewdir=~/.vim/view
      viewoptions=folds,options,cursor
      viminfo='1000,f1,"500,:20
    • Jürgen Krämer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002

        Peter Smith wrote:

        > If someone has a list of option settings that just makes 6.0 work as
        > 5.8 did by default, that'd be greatly appreciated...
        >
        > I have had a bit of trouble getting the multi level undo to work the
        > way I remember it working in 5.8. I used to be able to just keep
        > hitting 'u', and changes would keeping rolling backwards. I have tried
        > setting the ul option to no avail...
        >
        > I can't seem to find the correct option setting to make cursor keys
        > work in insert mode...
        >
        > I can't seem to get the cursor keys to work for recalling searches
        > when in search mode either...maybe I don't have the history settings
        > right?

        it seems that the 'compatible' option is on.

        > here is my .exrc:

        Rename this file to .vimrc or put 'set nocompatible' at the start of it.

        Regards,
        Jürgen

        --
        Jürgen Krämer Softwareentwicklung/-support
        Habel GmbH mailto:software@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
          terrific! thanks very much, and my apologies for such a simple question.

          thanks,
          peter