'clever' vimgor

  • Kontra, Gergely
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2002
      Hi!

      I just want to ask, that is it possible (without patching vim) to figure
      out the last pressed keys in vim?

      I want to display helpful hints for beginners somewhere, but I really
      need what the user typed before.

      Eg. when the user hits 10 times the 'l' key in normal mode, I can inform
      him/her about the w and b keys...

      thx
      Gergo

      +-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
      | Email: kgergely@..., kgergely@... |
        Kontra Gergely wrote:

        > I just want to ask, that is it possible (without patching vim) to figure
        > out the last pressed keys in vim?
        >
        > I want to display helpful hints for beginners somewhere, but I really
        > need what the user typed before.
        >
        > Eg. when the user hits 10 times the 'l' key in normal mode, I can inform
        > him/her about the w and b keys...

        Do you know the "script" program? It intercepts everything that's typed
        and stores it in a file. You could write a similar program that does
        something else with the intercepted key strokes.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        ;-0 Can't find shift key

      • Kontra, Gergely
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
          >> I just want to ask, that is it possible (without patching vim) to figure
          >> out the last pressed keys in vim?
          >>
          >> I want to display helpful hints for beginners somewhere, but I really
          >> need what the user typed before.
          >Do you know the "script" program? It intercepts everything that's typed
          >and stores it in a file. You could write a similar program that does
          >something else with the intercepted key strokes.

          Ok, where is it, how can I find it?
          I guess is it outside of vim. Am I wrong?
          If in vim, tell me the tag, please!

          Gergo

          +-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
          | Email: kgergely@..., kgergely@... |
            >>Do you know the "script" program? It intercepts everything that's typed
            >>and stores it in a file. You could write a similar program that does
            >>something else with the intercepted key strokes.

            Is anybody online who knows the answer. I have to go -> at home no
            internet :(

              Kontra Gergely wrote:

              > >> I just want to ask, that is it possible (without patching vim) to figure
              > >> out the last pressed keys in vim?
              > >>
              > >> I want to display helpful hints for beginners somewhere, but I really
              > >> need what the user typed before.
              > >Do you know the "script" program? It intercepts everything that's typed
              > >and stores it in a file. You could write a similar program that does
              > >something else with the intercepted key strokes.
              >
              > Ok, where is it, how can I find it?
              > I guess is it outside of vim. Am I wrong?
              > If in vim, tell me the tag, please!

              The script program is a program :-). There should be several sources
              available, at least one for the version I'm using on FreeBSD.

              --
              From "know your smileys":
              :-& Eating spaghetti