starting highlight matching brackets in vimrc

  • Michael Muhler
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
      Hello vimmers,

      i am using
      HiMatchBrkt.vim to highlight matching brackets, and it works great.
      So i wanted to start highlighting matching brackets
      for all files in vimrc.
      Unfortunately the plugin only provides some maps
      to initialize the mode, and the actual function to initialize
      the mode has a <SID>.
      Is is possible to call a <SID> function from within vimrc
      or should i declare a global function
      in (an edited version of) the script ?

      Hope this makes some sense,
      but i am kind of stuck here.

      kind regards
      michael muhler
    • Charles E. Campbell
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
        Thus saith Michael Muhler:
        > I am using HiMatchBrkt.vim to highlight matching brackets, and it
        > works great.

        Thanks!

        > So i wanted to start highlighting matching brackets
        > for all files in vimrc.

        Try putting

        norm \[i

        into your <.vimrc> -- that should start [HiMtchBrkt] mode.

        Regards,
        Charles Campbell

        --
        Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
        cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 4:50 AM
          On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:59:53PM +0100 Michael Muhler wrote:

          > Hello vimmers,
          >
          > i am using
          > HiMatchBrkt.vim to highlight matching brackets, and it works great.
          > So i wanted to start highlighting matching brackets
          > for all files in vimrc.
          > Unfortunately the plugin only provides some maps
          > to initialize the mode, and the actual function to initialize
          > the mode has a <SID>.
          > Is is possible to call a <SID> function from within vimrc
          > or should i declare a global function
          > in (an edited version of) the script ?

          Don't remember seeing a reply to this one, so I'll give it a shot.

          Possible solutions:
          1. Add a 'publicly accessable' function (ie not a <SID> function) that
          calls the script's initialize function. This would have to be inside
          the script so that this function knows what <SID> translates into so
          that it can call the right function (see :h on scriptnames and
          <SNR>).
          But that isn't very conducive to upgrades made by the author.

          2. Ask the author of HiMatchBrkt.vim to do #1.

          3. Add a line in your vimrc that sets up an autocmd for VimEnter that
          will execute the mapping for you.
          ex: au VimEnter * exe "normal <put script init mapping here>"

          Number 3 is untested, but if not this, a similar setup should work.

          HTH,
          -Doug

          --
          *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
          Douglas L. Potts
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 7:33 AM
            Thus saith Douglas L . Potts:
            > 3. Add a line in your vimrc that sets up an autocmd for VimEnter that
            > will execute the mapping for you.
            > ex: au VimEnter * exe "normal <put script init mapping here>"
            >
            > Number 3 is untested, but if not this, a similar setup should work.

            He settled on a #3 style solution -- seems to work apparently.

            Regards,
            C Campbell

            --
            Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __