hkmap should be per window (fwd)

  • Zvi Har'El
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2002
      I sent this earlier today, and aparantly it didn't go thru.

      --
      Dr. Zvi Har'El mailto:rl@... Department of Mathematics
      tel:+972-54-227607 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2002
        Zvi Har'El wrote:

        > I am using VIM to edit Hebrew HTML files. One of my tasks is to
        > translate English HTML files into Hebrew, and I have simulteneulky
        > several windows, in Hebrew and English. I used the command 'set invrl
        > invhk' to toggle between Hebrew and English editing. The problem is
        > that while the 'rl' flag is per window, the 'hk' is not, and my whole
        > editing session get screwed up. I solved the problem by using 'set rl
        > hk' and 'set norl nohk' to switch to or from Hebrew, but unless there
        > is a very good reason why hk is not window specific, I suggest it
        > should be considered as a bug (not a feature) and fixed.

        It should probably be global-local then, because some people use it like
        a global option.

        Can't you use the new 'keymap' option?

        173. You keep tracking down the email addresses of all your friends
        (even childhood friends).

      • Ron Aaron
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2002
          Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
          >Zvi Har'El wrote:
          >
          >> I am using VIM to edit Hebrew HTML files. One of my tasks is to
          >> translate English HTML files into Hebrew, and I have simulteneulky
          >> several windows, in Hebrew and English. I used the command 'set invrl
          >> invhk' to toggle between Hebrew and English editing. The problem is
          >> that while the 'rl' flag is per window, the 'hk' is not, and my whole
          >> editing session get screwed up. I solved the problem by using 'set rl
          >> hk' and 'set norl nohk' to switch to or from Hebrew, but unless there
          >> is a very good reason why hk is not window specific, I suggest it
          >> should be considered as a bug (not a feature) and fixed.
          >
          >It should probably be global-local then, because some people use it like
          >a global option.
          >
          >Can't you use the new 'keymap' option?

          He can, and should. 'keymap' should supercede the 'hkmap' option.

          Ron
        • Zvi Har'El
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2002
            On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Ron Aaron wrote:

            > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
            > >Zvi Har'El wrote:
            > >
            > >> I am using VIM to edit Hebrew HTML files. One of my tasks is to
            > >> translate English HTML files into Hebrew, and I have simulteneulky
            > >> several windows, in Hebrew and English. I used the command 'set invrl
            > >> invhk' to toggle between Hebrew and English editing. The problem is
            > >> that while the 'rl' flag is per window, the 'hk' is not, and my whole
            > >> editing session get screwed up. I solved the problem by using 'set rl
            > >> hk' and 'set norl nohk' to switch to or from Hebrew, but unless there
            > >> is a very good reason why hk is not window specific, I suggest it
            > >> should be considered as a bug (not a feature) and fixed.
            > >
            > >It should probably be global-local then, because some people use it like
            > >a global option.
            > >
            > >Can't you use the new 'keymap' option?
            >
            > He can, and should. 'keymap' should supercede the 'hkmap' option.
            >
            > Ron

            Ron,

            Since I "can and should", I'll start learning how to do it. until now I didn't
            feel I miss anything by using hkmap.

            Best,

            Zvi.

            --
            Dr. Zvi Har'El mailto:rl@... Department of Mathematics
            tel:+972-54-227607 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
            fax:+972-4-8324654 http://www.math.technion.ac.il/~rl/ Haifa 32000, ISRAEL
            "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all." -- Thumper (1942)
            Monday, 22 Shevat 5762, 4 February 2002, 12:39PM
          • Zvi Har'El
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2002
              On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Zvi Har'El wrote:
              >
              > > I am using VIM to edit Hebrew HTML files. One of my tasks is to
              > > translate English HTML files into Hebrew, and I have simulteneulky
              > > several windows, in Hebrew and English. I used the command 'set invrl
              > > invhk' to toggle between Hebrew and English editing. The problem is
              > > that while the 'rl' flag is per window, the 'hk' is not, and my whole
              > > editing session get screwed up. I solved the problem by using 'set rl
              > > hk' and 'set norl nohk' to switch to or from Hebrew, but unless there
              > > is a very good reason why hk is not window specific, I suggest it
              > > should be considered as a bug (not a feature) and fixed.
              >
              > It should probably be global-local then, because some people use it like
              > a global option.
              >
              > Can't you use the new 'keymap' option?

              Dear Bram, VIMers,

              As I told Ron, I still don't know how to use keymap, and I'll study it. About
              hkmap, I always use it in conjunction with rightleft: Since BIDI is not
              supported by vim, whenever I insert Hebrew I flip the screen and change the map
              and whenever I insert English I flip and change again. I don't know what are
              the reasons some people like the hkmap to be global. If any of the readers of
              this thread can enlighten be about it, I'll be grateful.

              Thanks,

              Zvi.

              --
              Dr. Zvi Har'El mailto:rl@... Department of Mathematics
              tel:+972-54-227607 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
              fax:+972-4-8324654 http://www.math.technion.ac.il/~rl/ Haifa 32000, ISRAEL
              "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all." -- Thumper (1942)
              Monday, 22 Shevat 5762, 4 February 2002, 12:42PM
            • Ron Aaron
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2002
                Zvi Har'El <rl@...> writes:
                >On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                >As I told Ron, I still don't know how to use keymap, and I'll study it. About
                >hkmap, I always use it in conjunction with rightleft: Since BIDI is not
                >supported by vim, whenever I insert Hebrew I flip the screen and change the map
                >and whenever I insert English I flip and change again. I don't know what are
                >the reasons some people like the hkmap to be global. If any of the readers of
                >this thread can enlighten be about it, I'll be grateful.

                I have the same issues. And you are right, 'hkmap' should not be global, it
                should be just like 'keymap' in that regard.

                Ron