Re: BufExplorer: Hide instead of close current buffer?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      >(Does Vim have hidden buffers?)

      yes--it's as simple as ":set (no)hidden" , with "nohidden" being the default
      in the build i just downloaded--6.0 gvim for win32

      i've got enough screen real estate that i usually just ^w50+ to expand my
      window to almost full screen, leaving just two lines for each other file.
      i'm almost at the point though that i would like to set "hidden" in my vimrc
      just because it would be durn handy :)

      -tim

    • David Coppit
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Tim Chase wrote:

        > >(Does Vim have hidden buffers?)
        >
        > yes--it's as simple as ":set (no)hidden" , with "nohidden" being the default
        > in the build i just downloaded--6.0 gvim for win32

        Hm... That does do the trick for WinManager--thanks. I'm not sure if I
        like the buffers left hanging around, but I guess it means fast access
        and maybe some memory overhead. I'd rather have a "save state for file
        on close"...

        David

        David Coppit - Ph.D. Candidate david@...
        The University of Virginia http://coppit.org/
        Whenever anyone says, "theoretically", they really mean "not really".
        - Dave Parnas
      • Bindu.Wavell@econvergent.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002

          You might find the following setting very usefull in your .vimrc:

                  au BufWinLeave *.c,*.cpp,*.h mkview
                  au BufWinEnter *.c,*.cpp,*.h silent loadview

          I'm not sure if you are editing c/++ or some other language. Obviously you can update these auto-commands to handle the file types you are editing. The trick here is that vim will save and restore a bunch of settings like folds position in file, etc when you close a window and restore these settings when you come back to the file... Even across vim invocations!!!

          Bindu Wavell
          Software Architect
          eConvergent, Inc
          303.827.2140

          This email message and any attachments are solely for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Any unauthorized use, review, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message and attachments.