gvimdiff from cygwin

  • Bob Roberts
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
      When I run gvim -d file1 file2 from my cygwin shell, I get "E97: Cannot
      create diffs". This only happens when I run it from the cygwin shell -- it
      works fine when I do it from a dos prompt.

      I think that is has something to do with my environment -- I am also unable
      to open up gzipped files in gvim.

      Here are the shell variables that I set in my _vimrc:
      set shell=d:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe
      set shellcmdflag=-c
      set shellpipe=2>&1\|\ tee
      set shellredir=>%s\ 2>&1
      set shellslash
    • Michael Naumann
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
        On Thursday 31 January 2002 18:46, you wrote:
        > When I run gvim -d file1 file2 from my cygwin shell, I get "E97: Cannot
        > create diffs". This only happens when I run it from the cygwin shell -- it
        > works fine when I do it from a dos prompt.
        >
        > I think that is has something to do with my environment -- I am also unable
        > to open up gzipped files in gvim.
        >
        > Here are the shell variables that I set in my _vimrc:
        > set shell=d:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe
        > set shellcmdflag=-c
        > set shellpipe=2>&1\|\ tee
        > set shellredir=>%s\ 2>&1
        > set shellslash

        vimdiff works for me.
        I left everything except shell and shellslash on their vim-defaults.

        with gzipped files, I can't help. I never used this feature.

        HTH, Michael
      • Strohhaecker, Bernd
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
          > :Von: Michael Naumann [SMTP:mnaumann@...]
          > Gesendet am: Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2002 20:01
          > An: vim@...
          > Betreff: Re: gvimdiff from cygwin
          >
          > On Thursday 31 January 2002 18:46, you wrote:
          > > When I run gvim -d file1 file2 from my cygwin shell, I get "E97: Cannot
          > > create diffs". This only happens when I run it from the cygwin shell --
          it
          > > works fine when I do it from a dos prompt.
          > >
          > > I think that is has something to do with my environment -- I am also
          unable
          > > to open up gzipped files in gvim.
          > >
          > > Here are the shell variables that I set in my _vimrc:
          > > set shell=d:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe
          > > set shellcmdflag=-c
          > > set shellpipe=2>&1\|\ tee
          > > set shellredir=>%s\ 2>&1
          > > set shellslash
          >
          > vimdiff works for me.
          > I left everything except shell and shellslash on their vim-defaults.
          >
          > with gzipped files, I can't help. I never used this feature.
          >
          > HTH, Michael

          Both works for me. I'm using:

          shell=/bin/bash
          shellcmdflag=-c