Re: Bug in serverlist() ? (was Re: Please help, input() sometimesmisbehaves)

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
      Zdenek Sekera wrote:

      > Finally I read the doc, too :-). It would seem to me the serverlist()
      > not returning an empty string should, indeed, be considered a bug.

      Yes, I'll look into it.

      > Interesting the difference between behaviour on windows and unix you
      > mention above. Why should there be a difference at all? I would think
      > that the behaviour should be the same and I'd much prefer the vim/gvim
      > to be a server by default also on unix. Any compelling reason why not?
      > Bram?

      Startup time. On MS-Windows Vim doesn't need to do much to become a
      server. On X11 it needs to contact the X server, which may take some
      time (esp. when it's a remote server). And most people won't use a Vim
      in a terminal as a server anyway.

      117. You are more comfortable typing in html.

    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > > Interesting the difference between behaviour on windows and unix you
        > > mention above. Why should there be a difference at all? I would think
        > > that the behaviour should be the same and I'd much prefer the vim/gvim
        > > to be a server by default also on unix. Any compelling reason why not?
        > > Bram?
        >
        > Startup time. On MS-Windows Vim doesn't need to do much to become a
        > server. On X11 it needs to contact the X server, which may take some
        > time (esp. when it's a remote server). And most people won't use a Vim
        > in a terminal as a server anyway.

        Too bad, but sounds convincing ;-(.

        ---Zdenek