Bug in serverlist() ? (was Re: Please help, input() sometimes misbehaves)

  • Hari Krishna Dara
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2002
      On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 at 11:44am, Zdenek Sekera wrote:

      > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
      > >
      > > On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 at 8:51am, Zdenek Sekera wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Error detected while processing function
      > > > <SNR>43_RemoteSearchForward..RemCmdSend
      > > > RemoteCommand..RemCmdSelectServer..RemCmdServerList:
      > > > line 1:
      > > > E249: couldn't read VIM instance registry property
      > > > Prompting for value
      > > > default: of length: 0
      > > > Enter the server number or name:

      > > ...I think it is because
      > > you have not compiled your vim with +clientserver option, that probably is
      > > the reason. But I would still expect Vim to be silent or even say that the
      > > feature is not disabled.
      > >

      > Nope. Here is my version:
      >
      > :version
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.0 (2001 Sep 26, compiled Jan 22 2002 10:33:34)
      > Included patches: 1-70, 72-78, 80-86, 88-93, 79, 94-97, 100-101, 98-99,
      > 102-144
      > Compiled by zs@amati
      > Normal version with X11-Motif GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      > +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      > +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
      > +comments
      > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      >
      > I skipped the rest.
      >
      > Could that indicate some unexpected problem in your script?
      >
      > My vim is launched in xterm as 'vim', if that counts.

      Interesting. I just tried the script on solaris (using Exceed from w2k, if
      that matters) and it worked fine. But I could reproduce the error message
      you are getting. When there are no servers available to list, serverlist()
      gives an error message instead of silently returning an empty string. I
      think this is a bug.

      On windows, even the console vim acts as a server by default, so I never
      got this error message on windows (you always have at least one server).
      But checking the documentation, I realized that on X, the consolve vim
      doesn't act as a server, unless --servername option is given. I guess, you
      are using vim instead of gvim, without giving the previously mentioned
      option, so serverlist() is failing. Now if you actually want to see the
      script working, do the following:

      - start two or more instanceof gvim or vim with the --servername option.
      - source the two scripts in one of the instance.
      - Open a file and type \ro
      - Select a server number of name.

      Let me know if you still face problems.

      Hari