Farsi

  • Hichem Fadali
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 9, 2002
      Hey,

      Does anyone know how I can create new characters (that are not latin) so
      that I can integrate them in ViM?
      ie Farsi, how did the person created the farsi alphabet?
      I just need some guidelines on where I should start from.

      Thanks
      Hichem
    • Hichem Fadali
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 24, 2002
        Hi,

        I have a little problem...
        I created a font similar to the farsi one, and I am trying to display the
        glyphs in vim.

        I have something like:
        switch(c)
        {
        case '0': return F_ZERO; // which is my farsi zero
        .
        .
        .
        case 'a': return F_some_letter;

        THe F_zero is defined in my header file:
        #define F_ZERO 0xb0
        #define F_some_letter 0x80

        Now, as I am using xterm, I first add the font to my font path, then I do:

        xterm -fn new-farsi &

        which opens up a new xterm with the font new-farsi as the default.

        Then, I do: vim -F some_file

        Now, the problem is as follows:

        If I press on the key 0, I get the farsi 0.
        But, if I press on the 'a', I get ~K, instead of the actual letter I am
        supposed to get.

        Does anyone know why and how that can be fixed????

        Thanks

        Hichem
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 24, 2002
          Hichem Fadali wrote:

          > If I press on the key 0, I get the farsi 0.
          > But, if I press on the 'a', I get ~K, instead of the actual letter I am
          > supposed to get.
          >
          > Does anyone know why and how that can be fixed????

          Perhaps you need to set 'isprint' to include your characters?

          36. You miss more than five meals a week downloading the latest games from
          Apogee.

        • Hichem Fadali
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 25, 2002
            Hi,

            Can somebody explain to me what this part of farsi.h does:

            EXTERN char_u farsi_text_3[]
            #ifdef DO_INIT
            = { DAL, WAW, _SHIN, _YE, _MIM, _NOON, ' ', YE_, _NOON,
            ALEF_,_BE, _YE, _TE, _SHIN, _PE, ' ', 'R','E','P','L',
            'A','C','E', ' ', NOON, ALEF_, _MIM, RE, _FE, ZE,
            ALEF,
            ' ', 'R', 'E', 'V', 'E', 'R', 'S', 'E', ' ', 'I', 'N',
            'S', 'E', 'R', 'T', ' ', SHIN, WAW, RE, ' ', ALEF_,
            _BE,
            ' ', YE_, _SIN, RE, ALEF_, _FE, ' ', RE, DAL, ' ', RE,
            ALEF_, _KAF,' ', MIM, ALEF_, _GAF, _NOON, _HE, '\0'}
            #endif
            ;

            What's the point of having it? He uses it with EMSG(farsi_text_3)...

            Any feedback will be appreciated.

            Hichem
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 25, 2002
              Hichem Fadali wrote:

              > Can somebody explain to me what this part of farsi.h does:
              >

              > EXTERN char_u farsi_text_3[]
              > #ifdef DO_INIT
              > = { DAL, WAW, _SHIN, _YE, _MIM, _NOON, ' ', YE_, _NOON,
              > ALEF_,_BE, _YE, _TE, _SHIN, _PE, ' ', 'R','E','P','L',
              > 'A','C','E', ' ', NOON, ALEF_, _MIM, RE, _FE, ZE,
              > ALEF,
              > ' ', 'R', 'E', 'V', 'E', 'R', 'S', 'E', ' ', 'I', 'N',
              > 'S', 'E', 'R', 'T', ' ', SHIN, WAW, RE, ' ', ALEF_,
              > _BE,
              > ' ', YE_, _SIN, RE, ALEF_, _FE, ' ', RE, DAL, ' ', RE,
              > ALEF_, _KAF,' ', MIM, ALEF_, _GAF, _NOON, _HE, '\0'}
              > #endif
              > ;
              >
              > What's the point of having it? He uses it with EMSG(farsi_text_3)...
              >
              > Any feedback will be appreciated.

              Obviously this is some error message. At least it contains "REVERSE
              INSERT", the rest requires someone knowing Farsi.

              This is old stuff. One day this should be replaced and use gettext for
              translations.

              --
              Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.
              -- Lieberman's Law

            • Antoine J. Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 25, 2002
                I don't know Persian, but it looks significant to me that the third Farsi
                word after "REVERSE INSERT" is "Farsi" in reverse. That makes me suppose the
                Farsi text in that message is shown left-to-right, meaning it has to be
                "read in reverse" to be understood. That would give (without the short
                vowels IIUC) HNGAM KAR DR FARSI BA RWSh *REVERSE INSERT* AZFRMAN *REPLACE*
                PShTIBANI NMIShWD. Does it make any sense? I don't know.

                Tony.

                Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                > Hichem Fadali wrote:
                >
                > > Can somebody explain to me what this part of farsi.h does:
                > >

                > > EXTERN char_u farsi_text_3[]
                > > #ifdef DO_INIT
                > > = { DAL, WAW, _SHIN, _YE, _MIM, _NOON, ' ', YE_, _NOON,
                > > ALEF_,_BE, _YE, _TE, _SHIN, _PE, ' ', 'R','E','P','L',
                > > 'A','C','E', ' ', NOON, ALEF_, _MIM, RE, _FE, ZE,
                > > ALEF,
                > > ' ', 'R', 'E', 'V', 'E', 'R', 'S', 'E', ' ', 'I', 'N',
                > > 'S', 'E', 'R', 'T', ' ', SHIN, WAW, RE, ' ', ALEF_,
                > > _BE,
                > > ' ', YE_, _SIN, RE, ALEF_, _FE, ' ', RE, DAL, ' ', RE,
                > > ALEF_, _KAF,' ', MIM, ALEF_, _GAF, _NOON, _HE, '\0'}
                > > #endif
                > > ;
                > >
                > > What's the point of having it? He uses it with EMSG(farsi_text_3)...
                > >
                > > Any feedback will be appreciated.
                >
                > Obviously this is some error message. At least it contains "REVERSE
                > INSERT", the rest requires someone knowing Farsi.
                >
                > This is old stuff. One day this should be replaced and use gettext for
                > translations.
                >
                > --
                > Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.
                > -- Lieberman's Law
                >
                > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net
                > \\\ /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org
                > \\\ \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org
                > /// \\\ Lord Of The Rings helps Uganda -
                > http://iccf-holland.org/lotr.html ///
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 25, 2002
                  Antoine Mechelynck wrote:

                  > I don't know Persian, but it looks significant to me that the third Farsi
                  > word after "REVERSE INSERT" is "Farsi" in reverse. That makes me suppose the
                  > Farsi text in that message is shown left-to-right, meaning it has to be
                  > "read in reverse" to be understood. That would give (without the short
                  > vowels IIUC) HNGAM KAR DR FARSI BA RWSh *REVERSE INSERT* AZFRMAN *REPLACE*
                  > PShTIBANI NMIShWD. Does it make any sense? I don't know.

                  Be Warned! If you read this out loud it will call upon you the evil
                  spirit of Dr Farsi!

                  :-)

                  --
                  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people
                  appear bright until you hear them speak

                • Hichem Fadali
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 26, 2002
                    How do you add any new characters to "isprint"???
                    (Does it make a difference if I have characters up to 0x17f?)

                    Thanks again guys.

                    Hichem

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 26, 2002
                      Hichem Fadali wrote:

                      > How do you add any new characters to "isprint"???

                      :set isprint+=128-160

                      > (Does it make a difference if I have characters up to 0x17f?)

                      'isprint' is only used up to 255. Above that all characters are
                      considered printable (although you might get a box if the font doesn't
                      have it.

                      54. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. :-)

                    • Hichem Fadali
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 30, 2002
                        Bram,

                        How are you doing?
                        I have one last ( I hope ) problem that doesn't seem to make sense...
                        I created this new font, of an extra 128 glyphs. They go from 0x80 to
                        0xFF...
                        Now, the problem that I am having is that for any glyphs between 0x80 and
                        0x9F, the glyphs don't get printed in Vim, whereas any of the other glyphs
                        do get printed. So for only these 1st 32 glyphs, I get a space when I
                        hit the keyboard key that corresponds to it.

                        Any clues why?

                        Thanks again guys.

                        Hichem
                      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 30, 2002
                          What is your 'fileencoding' for that buffer? Some of them (such as utf-8
                          IIRC) don't use those 32 code points.

                          Tony.

                          Hichem Fadali <hfadali@...> wrote:
                          > Bram,
                          >
                          > How are you doing?
                          > I have one last ( I hope ) problem that doesn't seem to make sense...
                          > I created this new font, of an extra 128 glyphs. They go from 0x80 to
                          > 0xFF...
                          > Now, the problem that I am having is that for any glyphs between 0x80 and
                          > 0x9F, the glyphs don't get printed in Vim, whereas any of the other glyphs
                          > do get printed. So for only these 1st 32 glyphs, I get a space when I
                          > hit the keyboard key that corresponds to it.
                          >
                          > Any clues why?
                          >
                          > Thanks again guys.
                          >
                          > Hichem
                        • Hichem Fadali
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 30, 2002
                            I don't know how to look up the fileencoding that is being used for the
                            buffer.
                            But how come it works for the created glyphs from 0xA0 to 0xFF???
                            I just get a space between 0x80 and 0x9F.

                            On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:

                            > What is your 'fileencoding' for that buffer? Some of them (such as utf-8
                            > IIRC) don't use those 32 code points.
                            >
                            > Tony.
                            >
                            > Hichem Fadali <hfadali@...> wrote:
                            > > Bram,
                            > >
                            > > How are you doing?
                            > > I have one last ( I hope ) problem that doesn't seem to make sense...
                            > > I created this new font, of an extra 128 glyphs. They go from 0x80 to
                            > > 0xFF...
                            > > Now, the problem that I am having is that for any glyphs between 0x80 and
                            > > 0x9F, the glyphs don't get printed in Vim, whereas any of the other glyphs
                            > > do get printed. So for only these 1st 32 glyphs, I get a space when I
                            > > hit the keyboard key that corresponds to it.
                            > >
                            > > Any clues why?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks again guys.
                            > >
                            > > Hichem

                          • Bram Moolenaar
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 30, 2002
                              Hichem Fadali wrote:

                              > How are you doing?
                              > I have one last ( I hope ) problem that doesn't seem to make sense...
                              > I created this new font, of an extra 128 glyphs. They go from 0x80 to
                              > 0xFF...
                              > Now, the problem that I am having is that for any glyphs between 0x80 and
                              > 0x9F, the glyphs don't get printed in Vim, whereas any of the other glyphs
                              > do get printed. So for only these 1st 32 glyphs, I get a space when I
                              > hit the keyboard key that corresponds to it.
                              >
                              > Any clues why?

                              These characters should work fine in MS-Windows and MS-DOS with the
                              default font, thus I don't see why they would not work on other systems.
                              You did do:

                              :set isprint+=128-160

                              otherwise you wouldn't get a space. Does the character actually get
                              inserted? Use "ga" to find out. I can't think of another reason for a
                              display problem.

                              --
                              How many light bulbs does it take to change a person?

                            • Antoine J. Mechelynck
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 30, 2002
                                Hichem Fadali <hfadali@...> wrote:
                                > I don't know how to look up the fileencoding that is being used for the
                                > buffer.

                                put the cursor in the buffer in question, then do

                                :setlocal fileencoding?

                                > But how come it works for the created glyphs from 0xA0 to 0xFF???
                                > I just get a space between 0x80 and 0x9F.

                                in some encodings, 80-9F are invalid while A0-FF are valid. I don't know how
                                you define a new font. I suppose the definition says somewhere either what
                                encoding (latin1, iso-8851-3, euc-jp, ...) should be used with that font, or
                                to which Unicode codepoints the various glyphs are assigned, or both. AFAIK,
                                codepoints 80-9F are invalid in Unicode so you musn't use those Unicode
                                codepoints in the definition of any glyphs.

                                HTH,
                                Tony.

                                P.S. The Unicode site starts at http://www.unicode.org . It is full of
                                interesting info -- sometimes so full that you drown in it.
                              • Hichem Fadali
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 1, 2002
                                  I did set isprint as you said, but that's not the problem... By the way,
                                  I am running version 5.7 on UNIX, and I am not running the GUI version...

                                  What is 'ga' that you mentioned to find out if a character has been
                                  inserted??? and how is it used???

                                  Thanks.

                                  Hichem

                                  > Hichem Fadali wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > How are you doing?
                                  > > I have one last ( I hope ) problem that doesn't seem to make sense...
                                  > > I created this new font, of an extra 128 glyphs. They go from 0x80 to
                                  > > 0xFF...
                                  > > Now, the problem that I am having is that for any glyphs between 0x80 and
                                  > > 0x9F, the glyphs don't get printed in Vim, whereas any of the other glyphs
                                  > > do get printed. So for only these 1st 32 glyphs, I get a space when I
                                  > > hit the keyboard key that corresponds to it.
                                  > >
                                  > > Any clues why?
                                  >
                                  > These characters should work fine in MS-Windows and MS-DOS with the
                                  > default font, thus I don't see why they would not work on other systems.
                                  > You did do:
                                  >
                                  > :set isprint+=128-160
                                  >
                                  > otherwise you wouldn't get a space. Does the character actually get
                                  > inserted? Use "ga" to find out. I can't think of another reason for a
                                  > display problem.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > How many light bulbs does it take to change a person?
                                  >
                                  > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net \\\
                                  > /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org \\\
                                  > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org ///
                                  > \\\ Lord Of The Rings helps Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org/lotr.html ///

                                • Tim Chase
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 1, 2002
                                    > What is 'ga' that you mentioned to find out if a character has been
                                    > inserted??? and how is it used???

                                    just like one uses ^G to figure out where you are (line/column) in normal
                                    mode, "ga" reports back the current ascii value in hex and decimal of the
                                    character currently under the cursor.

                                    see:
                                    :he ga

                                    -tim
                                  • Hichem Fadali
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                      For a character at Hex 0x85, when I use 'ga', I get the following:

                                      <> <~E> <M-^E> 133, Hex 85, Octal 205

                                      So, how come the I get "<>" instead of getting "<the glyph>"???
                                      And I do have :set isprint... set

                                      One more thing: Did you say that it worked in gvim??? Did you try it with
                                      the Farsi?

                                      Thanks.

                                      Hichem

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                        Hichem Fadali wrote:

                                        > For a character at Hex 0x85, when I use 'ga', I get the following:
                                        >
                                        > <> <~E> <M-^E> 133, Hex 85, Octal 205
                                        >
                                        > So, how come the I get "<>" instead of getting "<the glyph>"???
                                        > And I do have :set isprint... set

                                        Apparently printing the 0x85 character ends up as "nothing" on the
                                        screen.

                                        There must be something in the path between Vim and the screen that
                                        decides not to display this character. You could debug Vim to find out
                                        if this is a Vim problem or a problem with the system functions.
                                        I don't think Vim filters out characters 0x80-0x9f, thus I would expect
                                        a problem with system functions. But that needs to be verified.

                                        > One more thing: Did you say that it worked in gvim??? Did you try it with
                                        > the Farsi?

                                        I didn't try this out, since I don't have a font for this.

                                        111. You and your friends get together regularly on IRC, even though
                                        all of you live in the same city.

                                      • Hichem Fadali
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                          You said that some encoding might have 0x80 to 0x9f invalid, while 0xa0 to
                                          0xff are valid, how can find out which encodings allow what? Where can I
                                          find this information?
                                          I created the font that I am using, so it doesn't really say which
                                          encoding is to be used with it.

                                          Thanks.

                                          Hichem

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                            Hichem Fadali <hfadali@...> wrote:
                                            > You said that some encoding might have 0x80 to 0x9f invalid, while 0xa0 to
                                            > 0xff are valid, how can find out which encodings allow what? Where can I
                                            > find this information?
                                            > I created the font that I am using, so it doesn't really say which
                                            > encoding is to be used with it.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks.
                                            >
                                            > Hichem

                                            I don't know.

                                            I suppose it would depend on the encoding.

                                            For Unicode the homepage is at http://www.unicode.org , the other pages
                                            ought to be accessible from there. It is not unbelieveable that the ISO
                                            definitions might be referenced from within the Unicode site. The Windows
                                            encodings might -- or might not -- be accessible from
                                            http://www.microsoft.com/ . I wouldn't know where to start for an East Asian
                                            encoding.

                                            You say you created the font. I suppose you must have followed some specific
                                            format. Where did it come from? Is it a bitmapped font or a vector font?
                                            Does the font definition contain nothing at all in addition to the bitmaps
                                            or vector definitions for the glyphs?

                                            Let's hope someone more enlightened than me will be able to help you.