RE: update

  • Schwenk, Jeanie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
      I am editing text files with a .java extension. I am using vim 6.0. I am
      using vim (not gvim) with the color support turned on. If I use it without
      color, it then updates the screen while I'm making modifications. When I
      use color, it uses lazyredraw. Lazyredraw is not on however. It just does
      it that way.

      Jeanie

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10 3:14 AM
        Hi vimmers,

        is it possible to see an update version of an already loaded file (which
        will change due to some continuous output) without closing and reopening
        it?

        Cheers,
        Henrik

        --
        Staff meeting in the conference room in %d minutes.
      • Wolfgang Schmidt
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10 3:17 AM
          Henrik wrote:
          > Hi vimmers,
          >
          > is it possible to see an update version of an already loaded file (which
          > will change due to some continuous output) without closing and reopening
          > it?
          >

          > Cheers,
          > Henrik

          Hi Henrik:

          I think

          :e

          is what you need, try

          :help :e

          for further explanation.

          Cheers,

          Wolfgang
        • Yakov Lerner
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10 6:59 AM
            On 3/10/06, Wolfgang Schmidt <hak@...> wrote:
            > Henrik wrote:
            > > is it possible to see an update version of an already loaded file (which
            > > will change due to some continuous output) without closing and reopening
            > > it?
            > I think
            >
            > :e
            >
            > is what you need

            Henrik,
            Also take a look at the
            :he 'autoread'
            option

            Yakov
          • Jack Donohue
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10 7:20 AM
              > is it possible to see an update version of an already loaded file (which
              > will change due to some continuous output) without closing and reopening
              > it?

              Don't need vim for that:

              tail -f filename

              Jack