Re: autocommand : remove old sig

  • dman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
      On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:58:46PM +0100, Sven Guckes wrote:
      | * dman <dsh8290@...> [020101 22:36]:
      | > The mutt FAQ says
      | >
      | > How do I tell Mutt not to quote the signature?
      | > The suggested method is to tell your editor to do it. For example,
      | > uses of the VIM editor should put this line in their .vimrc:
      | > au BufRead /tmp/mutt* normal :g/^> -- $/,/^$/-1d^M/^$^M^L
      | >
      | > I did this, but it doesn't work. (actually
      | > I changed the to | to match my quote character)
      |
      | "I did nothing but change a little thing and..."

      :-).

      | say no more. ;-)

      I did put it back, and made my mutt config correspond, but it still
      didn't work. I've been trying some variants too, but none of them
      work. I tried putting an actual 0x0d character in instead of ^M and
      I've also tried "<CR>". I tried removing some of the command, and
      even just leaving the cursor where the :g command should have matched,
      but I see no effect.

      | The '|' separates comamnds on the command line.
      | I suppose that's where it failed now.

      | So quote it: \|

      Ahh, that would be a problem (but it still doesn't work).

      | anyway. anyone who does not use "> "
      | to quote text should be kicked, anyway.

      I won't go here :-).

      | > Also, would anybody like to explain
      | > what the stuff after the ',' does?
      |
      | the "current location" is missing here.
      | read it like ".,address"; so the range is
      | "from here until next empty line".
      | then the command says "-1" go back one line -
      | and the 'd' finally will delete the text.

      Ok, thanks.

      -D

      --

      A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time
    • Ross A. Osborn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
        On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 08:30:45PM -0500, dman wrote:
        > On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:58:46PM +0100, Sven Guckes wrote:
        > | * dman <dsh8290@...> [020101 22:36]:
        > | > The mutt FAQ says
        > | >
        > | > How do I tell Mutt not to quote the signature?
        > | > The suggested method is to tell your editor to do it. For example,
        > | > uses of the VIM editor should put this line in their .vimrc:
        > | > au BufRead /tmp/mutt* normal :g/^> -- $/,/^$/-1d^M/^$^M^L
        > | >
        > | > I did this, but it doesn't work. (actually
        > | > I changed the to | to match my quote character)
        > |
        > | "I did nothing but change a little thing and..."
        >
        > :-).
        >
        > | say no more. ;-)
        >
        > I did put it back, and made my mutt config correspond, but it still
        > didn't work. I've been trying some variants too, but none of them
        > work. I tried putting an actual 0x0d character in instead of ^M and
        > I've also tried "<CR>". I tried removing some of the command, and
        > even just leaving the cursor where the :g command should have matched,
        > but I see no effect.

        Where you see "^M", you should type <CTRL-V><CTRL-M>.

        --
        | Ross Osborn | Motorola, Broadband Comm. Sector |
        | rosborn@... | 101 Tournament Drive |
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2002
          On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:22:33AM -0500, Ross A. Osborn wrote:
          | On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 08:30:45PM -0500, dman wrote:
          | > On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:58:46PM +0100, Sven Guckes wrote:
          | > | * dman <dsh8290@...> [020101 22:36]:

          | > |
          | > | "I did nothing but change a little thing and..."
          | >
          | > :-).
          | >
          | > | say no more. ;-)
          | >
          | > I did put it back, and made my mutt config correspond, but it still
          | > didn't work. I've been trying some variants too, but none of them
          | > work. I tried putting an actual 0x0d character in instead of ^M and
          | > I've also tried "<CR>". I tried removing some of the command, and
          | > even just leaving the cursor where the :g command should have matched,
          | > but I see no effect.
          |
          | Where you see "^M", you should type <CTRL-V><CTRL-M>.

          I tried that, and <CTRL-V><CTRL-L> instead of ^L but it still had no
          effect.

          Would
          au BufRead /tmp/mutt* :%s/^\| -- \n\_.*-- $/\r-- /
          work as well? (IOW, have I missed something here?)

          -D

          --

          In his heart a man plans his course,
          but the Lord determines his steps.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2002
            On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:32:59PM -0500, dman wrote:
            > On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:22:33AM -0500, Ross A. Osborn wrote:

            > | > |

            > | > :-).

            > | > I did put it back, and made my mutt config correspond, but it still
            > | > didn't work. I've been trying some variants too, but none of them
            > | > work. I tried putting an actual 0x0d character in instead of ^M and
            > | > I've also tried "<CR>". I tried removing some of the command, and
            > | > even just leaving the cursor where the :g command should have matched,
            > | > but I see no effect.
            > |
            > | Where you see "^M", you should type <CTRL-V><CTRL-M>.
            >
            > I tried that, and <CTRL-V><CTRL-L> instead of ^L but it still had no
            > effect.

            I didn't try an autocommand but the command
            ":g/^> -- $/,/^$/-1d^M/^$^M^L" worked as expected. I get the same
            results with or without the ^L at the end. Is this just to redraw the
            screen? It seems unnecessary.

            Ross
          • dman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2002
              On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:41:46PM -0500, Ross A. Osborn wrote:
              | On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:32:59PM -0500, dman wrote:
              | > On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:22:33AM -0500, Ross A. Osborn wrote:
              | > | Where you see "^M", you should type <CTRL-V><CTRL-M>.
              | >
              | > I tried that, and <CTRL-V><CTRL-L> instead of ^L but it still had no
              | > effect.
              |
              | I didn't try an autocommand but the command
              | ":g/^> -- $/,/^$/-1d^M/^$^M^L" worked as expected. I get the same
              | results with or without the ^L at the end.

              That is working for me too, also as an autocommand (tried ~ 5 seconds
              ago). I don't know why it didn't work the last time I tried it.
              (also, FYI, I don't need to escape the '|' in my pattern)

              | Is this just to redraw the screen? It seems unnecessary.

              Yeah, I believe so.

              Thanks,
              -D

              --

              If you hold to [Jesus'] teaching, you are really [Jesus'] disciples.
              Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.