Re: autocommand : remove old sig

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
      * dman <dsh8290@...> [020101 22:36]:
      > The mutt FAQ says
      >
      > How do I tell Mutt not to quote the signature?
      > The suggested method is to tell your editor to do it. For example,
      > uses of the VIM editor should put this line in their .vimrc:
      > au BufRead /tmp/mutt* normal :g/^> -- $/,/^$/-1d^M/^$^M^L
      >
      > I did this, but it doesn't work. (actually
      > I changed the to | to match my quote character)

      "I did nothing but change a little thing and..."

      say no more. ;-)

      The '|' separates comamnds on the command line.
      I suppose that's where it failed now.

      So quote it: \|

      anyway. anyone who does not use "> "
      to quote text should be kicked, anyway.

      > Also, would anybody like to explain
      > what the stuff after the ',' does?

      the "current location" is missing here.
      read it like ".,address"; so the range is
      "from here until next empty line".
      then the command says "-1" go back one line -
      and the 'd' finally will delete the text.

      the rest is left to the reader as an exercise. hehe

      Sven

      --
      Sven Guckes guckes@...-berlin.de
      This is the "Happy New Year" virus for
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
        On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:58:46PM +0100, Sven Guckes wrote:
        | * dman <dsh8290@...> [020101 22:36]:
        | > The mutt FAQ says
        | >
        | > How do I tell Mutt not to quote the signature?
        | > The suggested method is to tell your editor to do it. For example,
        | > uses of the VIM editor should put this line in their .vimrc:
        | > au BufRead /tmp/mutt* normal :g/^> -- $/,/^$/-1d^M/^$^M^L
        | >
        | > I did this, but it doesn't work. (actually
        | > I changed the to | to match my quote character)
        |
        | "I did nothing but change a little thing and..."

        :-).

        | say no more. ;-)

        I did put it back, and made my mutt config correspond, but it still
        didn't work. I've been trying some variants too, but none of them
        work. I tried putting an actual 0x0d character in instead of ^M and
        I've also tried "<CR>". I tried removing some of the command, and
        even just leaving the cursor where the :g command should have matched,
        but I see no effect.

        | The '|' separates comamnds on the command line.
        | I suppose that's where it failed now.

        | So quote it: \|

        Ahh, that would be a problem (but it still doesn't work).

        | anyway. anyone who does not use "> "
        | to quote text should be kicked, anyway.

        I won't go here :-).

        | > Also, would anybody like to explain
        | > what the stuff after the ',' does?
        |
        | the "current location" is missing here.
        | read it like ".,address"; so the range is
        | "from here until next empty line".
        | then the command says "-1" go back one line -
        | and the 'd' finally will delete the text.

        Ok, thanks.

        -D

        --

        A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time
      • Ross A. Osborn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
          On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 08:30:45PM -0500, dman wrote:
          > On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:58:46PM +0100, Sven Guckes wrote:
          > | * dman <dsh8290@...> [020101 22:36]:
          > | > The mutt FAQ says
          > | >
          > | > How do I tell Mutt not to quote the signature?
          > | > The suggested method is to tell your editor to do it. For example,
          > | > uses of the VIM editor should put this line in their .vimrc:
          > | > au BufRead /tmp/mutt* normal :g/^> -- $/,/^$/-1d^M/^$^M^L
          > | >
          > | > I did this, but it doesn't work. (actually
          > | > I changed the to | to match my quote character)
          > |
          > | "I did nothing but change a little thing and..."
          >
          > :-).
          >
          > | say no more. ;-)
          >
          > I did put it back, and made my mutt config correspond, but it still
          > didn't work. I've been trying some variants too, but none of them
          > work. I tried putting an actual 0x0d character in instead of ^M and
          > I've also tried "<CR>". I tried removing some of the command, and
          > even just leaving the cursor where the :g command should have matched,
          > but I see no effect.

          Where you see "^M", you should type <CTRL-V><CTRL-M>.

          --
          | Ross Osborn | Motorola, Broadband Comm. Sector |
          | rosborn@... | 101 Tournament Drive |
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2002
            On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:22:33AM -0500, Ross A. Osborn wrote:
            | On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 08:30:45PM -0500, dman wrote:
            | > On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:58:46PM +0100, Sven Guckes wrote:
            | > | * dman <dsh8290@...> [020101 22:36]:

            | > |
            | > | "I did nothing but change a little thing and..."
            | >
            | > :-).
            | >
            | > | say no more. ;-)
            | >
            | > I did put it back, and made my mutt config correspond, but it still
            | > didn't work. I've been trying some variants too, but none of them
            | > work. I tried putting an actual 0x0d character in instead of ^M and
            | > I've also tried "<CR>". I tried removing some of the command, and
            | > even just leaving the cursor where the :g command should have matched,
            | > but I see no effect.
            |
            | Where you see "^M", you should type <CTRL-V><CTRL-M>.

            I tried that, and <CTRL-V><CTRL-L> instead of ^L but it still had no
            effect.

            Would
            au BufRead /tmp/mutt* :%s/^\| -- \n\_.*-- $/\r-- /
            work as well? (IOW, have I missed something here?)

            -D

            --

            In his heart a man plans his course,
            but the Lord determines his steps.
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2002
              On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:32:59PM -0500, dman wrote:
              > On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:22:33AM -0500, Ross A. Osborn wrote:

              > | > |

              > | > :-).

              > | > I did put it back, and made my mutt config correspond, but it still
              > | > didn't work. I've been trying some variants too, but none of them
              > | > work. I tried putting an actual 0x0d character in instead of ^M and
              > | > I've also tried "<CR>". I tried removing some of the command, and
              > | > even just leaving the cursor where the :g command should have matched,
              > | > but I see no effect.
              > |
              > | Where you see "^M", you should type <CTRL-V><CTRL-M>.
              >
              > I tried that, and <CTRL-V><CTRL-L> instead of ^L but it still had no
              > effect.

              I didn't try an autocommand but the command
              ":g/^> -- $/,/^$/-1d^M/^$^M^L" worked as expected. I get the same
              results with or without the ^L at the end. Is this just to redraw the
              screen? It seems unnecessary.

              Ross
            • dman
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2002
                On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:41:46PM -0500, Ross A. Osborn wrote:
                | On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:32:59PM -0500, dman wrote:
                | > On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:22:33AM -0500, Ross A. Osborn wrote:
                | > | Where you see "^M", you should type <CTRL-V><CTRL-M>.
                | >
                | > I tried that, and <CTRL-V><CTRL-L> instead of ^L but it still had no
                | > effect.
                |
                | I didn't try an autocommand but the command
                | ":g/^> -- $/,/^$/-1d^M/^$^M^L" worked as expected. I get the same
                | results with or without the ^L at the end.

                That is working for me too, also as an autocommand (tried ~ 5 seconds
                ago). I don't know why it didn't work the last time I tried it.
                (also, FYI, I don't need to escape the '|' in my pattern)

                | Is this just to redraw the screen? It seems unnecessary.

                Yeah, I believe so.

                Thanks,
                -D

                --

                If you hold to [Jesus'] teaching, you are really [Jesus'] disciples.
                Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.