Re: opening files in win NT

  • dman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
      On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 05:14:04PM -0500, John Kilbourne wrote:
      | I have set the Windows Explorer settings (View->Options->FileTypes-
      | >etc.) to use GVim as the default file opener for C,cpp and other
      | file extensions, but when I double click on such files I get a blank
      | gvim window. I must go to File-Open and manually open the file to be
      | able to edit in GVim. I don't know if this is a Windows problem or a
      | vim problem, but it is *my* problem. How can I make it so I can
      | double click on a file to edit it in Windows?

      It's a windows problem (but can appear on unices as well). There are
      2 solutions :
      1) don't put spaces in the path name!
      2) quote the argument (you know where you said to use
      'c:\blah\gvim.exe' to open the files? instead tell
      windows to use 'c:\blah\gvim.exe "%1"')

      -D

      --

      Failure is not an option. It is bundled with the software.
    • John Kilbourne
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        I don't know if i messed up somehting in doing this, but I do not
        have a "gvim.exe" "%1" file, just a gvim.exe, which I have set as the
        executable. How important is the -space_percent_1 part, and how do I
        get that file back?

        Thanks.
        John

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          Any chance this group could be split into M$ and a *nix groups?

          --- John Kilbourne <jkilbour@...> wrote:
          >I don't know if i messed up somehting in doing this, but I do not
          >have a "gvim.exe" "%1" file, just a gvim.exe, which I have set as the
          >executable. How important is the -space_percent_1 part, and how do I
          >get that file back?
          >
          >Thanks.
          >John

          Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net
        • dman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
            On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:49:16AM -0500, John Kilbourne wrote:
            | I don't know if i messed up somehting in doing this, but I do not
            | have a "gvim.exe" "%1" file, just a gvim.exe, which I have set as the
            | executable. How important is the -space_percent_1 part,

            If you leave out that %1, then gvim gets no arguments and doesn't have
            any clue that you double-clicked on a file or that you want to open
            it. The %1 is a placeholder for the first argument (the file name).
            Just putting <space>%1 is a problem though if you put spaces in a file
            name because space separates arguments. Thus you need to quote the
            argument to keep the spaces where they belong.

            -D

            not sure about the former.
            Albert Einstein