update

  • Schwenk, Jeanie
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
      When I use the colors with vim, the screen does not update. I have to page
      up or page down, then go back to see my changes. My terminal is rxvt. vim
      is unusable in color mode as far as I'm concerned. How can I get it to
      behave?

      Jeanie
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2001
        "Schwenk, Jeanie" wrote:

        > When I use the colors with vim, the screen does not update. I have to page
        > up or page down, then go back to see my changes. My terminal is rxvt. vim
        > is unusable in color mode as far as I'm concerned. How can I get it to
        > behave?
        >
        > Jeanie

        I do not see this sort of behavior. If it is related to rxvt, I am
        clueless. What sort of files are you editing when you see this behavior? I
        take it you are using vim in a terminal; what version of vim? When does the
        problem show up: when you are entering text in Insert mode?

        Not really a solution, but better than paging up and down: try <C-L> in
        Normal mode, or <C-O><C-L> in Insert mode. (The <C-O> takes you to Normal
        mode for a single command, <C-L> in this case.)

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Schwenk, Jeanie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
          I am editing text files with a .java extension. I am using vim 6.0. I am
          using vim (not gvim) with the color support turned on. If I use it without
          color, it then updates the screen while I'm making modifications. When I
          use color, it uses lazyredraw. Lazyredraw is not on however. It just does
          it that way.

          Jeanie

          > When I use the colors with vim, the screen does not update. I have to
          page
          > up or page down, then go back to see my changes. My terminal is rxvt.
          vim
          > is unusable in color mode as far as I'm concerned. How can I get it to
          > behave?
          >
          > Jeanie

          I do not see this sort of behavior. If it is related to rxvt, I am
          clueless. What sort of files are you editing when you see this behavior? I
          take it you are using vim in a terminal; what version of vim? When does the
          problem show up: when you are entering text in Insert mode?

          Not really a solution, but better than paging up and down: try <C-L>
          in
          Normal mode, or <C-O><C-L> in Insert mode. (The <C-O> takes you to Normal
          mode for a single command, <C-L> in this case.)

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Henrik
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
            Hi vimmers,

            is it possible to see an update version of an already loaded file (which
            will change due to some continuous output) without closing and reopening
            it?

            Cheers,
            Henrik

            --
            Staff meeting in the conference room in %d minutes.
          • Wolfgang Schmidt
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
              Henrik wrote:
              > Hi vimmers,
              >
              > is it possible to see an update version of an already loaded file (which
              > will change due to some continuous output) without closing and reopening
              > it?
              >

              > Cheers,
              > Henrik

              Hi Henrik:

              I think

              :e

              is what you need, try

              :help :e

              for further explanation.

              Cheers,

              Wolfgang
            • Yakov Lerner
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
                On 3/10/06, Wolfgang Schmidt <hak@...> wrote:
                > Henrik wrote:
                > > is it possible to see an update version of an already loaded file (which
                > > will change due to some continuous output) without closing and reopening
                > > it?
                > I think
                >
                > :e
                >
                > is what you need

                Henrik,
                Also take a look at the
                :he 'autoread'
                option

                Yakov
              • Jack Donohue
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
                  > is it possible to see an update version of an already loaded file (which
                  > will change due to some continuous output) without closing and reopening
                  > it?

                  Don't need vim for that:

                  tail -f filename

                  Jack