RE: Whitespace Color setting

  • Luis R. Nunez
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
      > Hi,
      >
      > How do I change the color of whitespace, i.e., when syntax "whitespace
      (add)" is selected? I'm using vim v5.8 with a dark
      > background. The color of syntax whitespace is salmon (pink) so the
      contrast with the dark background is minimal.

      > I tried the help docs on highlighting and whitespace but didn't find an
      answer. TIA ..
      >> Please do not send HTML to this list.
      OK ...

      >> I am not sure what you mean by "syntax whitespace."
      :cal SetSyn("whitespace") OR,
      From the Syntax pulldown Menu select: Syntax --> WXYZ --> Whitespace (add)
      When this syntax is selected, all the whitespace area is color highlighted.
      In my case, it is being highlighted with the color salmon pink. I want to
      change the color (pink) to one that has better contrast with a dark
      background.
      >> Perhaps what you want is

      >> :hi Normal guibg=NONE
      Didn't work.

      >> If this is not what you want, try to be clearer.
      I hope that adding the command I'm using helps. :cal SetSyn("whitespace")
      >> What sections of the help files are you looking at?
      :he highlight AND :he syntax-highlighting

      HTH --Benji Fisher
      Thanks ...
      Luis R. Núñez
    • Gary Holloway
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
        The highlight group being used there is "Space", try

        :hi Space guibg=Red
        (or whatever color you'd like instead of Red)

        -gary

        btw, I've found the following to be extremely useful; it's how I got this
        answer *quickly*.

        I have mapped "-a" to :call SyntaxAttr()
        (you can pick your favorite mapping :)

        And SyntaxAttr is:

        " EXAMPLE SETUP
        "
        " Show the syntax group name of the item under cursor.
        " map -a :call SyntaxAttr()<CR>

        function! SyntaxAttr()
        let synid = ""
        let guifg = ""
        let guibg = ""
        let gui = ""

        let id1 = synID(line("."), col("."), 1)
        let tid1 = synIDtrans(id1)

        if synIDattr(id1, "name") != ""
        let synid = "group: " . synIDattr(id1, "name")
        if (tid1 != id1)
        let synid = synid . '->' . synIDattr(tid1, "name")
        endif
        let id0 = synID(line("."), col("."), 0)
        if (synIDattr(id1, "name") != synIDattr(id0, "name"))
        let synid = synid . " (" . synIDattr(id0, "name")
        let tid0 = synIDtrans(id0)
        if (tid0 != id0)
        let synid = synid . '->' . synIDattr(tid0, "name")
        endif
        let synid = synid . ")"
        endif
        endif

        " Use the translated id for all the color & attribute lookups; the linked id yields blank values.
        if (synIDattr(tid1, "fg") != "" )
        let guifg = " guifg=" . synIDattr(tid1, "fg") . "(" . synIDattr(tid1, "fg#") . ")"
        endif
        if (synIDattr(tid1, "bg") != "" )
        let guibg = " guibg=" . synIDattr(tid1, "bg") . "(" . synIDattr(tid1, "bg#") . ")"
        endif
        if (synIDattr(tid1, "bold" ))
        let gui = gui . ",bold"
        endif
        if (synIDattr(tid1, "italic" ))
        let gui = gui . ",italic"
        endif
        if (synIDattr(tid1, "reverse" ))
        let gui = gui . ",reverse"
        endif
        if (synIDattr(tid1, "inverse" ))
        let gui = gui . ",inverse"
        endif
        if (synIDattr(tid1, "underline"))
        let gui = gui . ",underline"
        endif
        if (gui != "" )
        let gui = substitute(gui, "^,", " gui=", "")
        endif

        echohl MoreMsg
        let message = synid . guifg . guibg . gui
        if message == ""
        echohl WarningMsg
        let message = "<no syntax group here>"
        endif
        echo message
        echohl None
        endfunction

        / FROM: "Luis R. Nunez" <LNunez@...>, Dec 4 17:11 2001
        | ABOUT: RE: Whitespace Color setting
        |

        | > Hi,
        | >
        | > How do I change the color of whitespace, i.e., when syntax "whitespace
        | (add)" is selected? I'm using vim v5.8 with a dark
        | > background. The color of syntax whitespace is salmon (pink) so the
        | contrast with the dark background is minimal.
        | >
        | > I tried the help docs on highlighting and whitespace but didn't find an
        | answer. TIA ..
        | >> Please do not send HTML to this list.
        | OK ...
        |
        | >> I am not sure what you mean by "syntax whitespace."
        | :cal SetSyn("whitespace") OR,
        | From the Syntax pulldown Menu select: Syntax --> WXYZ --> Whitespace (add)
        | When this syntax is selected, all the whitespace area is color highlighted.
        | In my case, it is being highlighted with the color salmon pink. I want to
        | change the color (pink) to one that has better contrast with a dark
        | background.
        | >> Perhaps what you want is
        |
        | >> :hi Normal guibg=NONE
        | Didn't work.
        |
        | >> If this is not what you want, try to be clearer.
        | I hope that adding the command I'm using helps. :cal SetSyn("whitespace")
        | >> What sections of the help files are you looking at?
        | :he highlight AND :he syntax-highlighting
        |
        | HTH --Benji Fisher
        | Thanks ...
        | Luis R. N��ez

        \ END: "Luis R. Nunez"
      • Luis R. Nunez
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
          Thank you Gary! This is exactly what I needed. A very cool mapping.

          Luis R. Núñez