Whitespace Color setting

  • Luis R. Nunez
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001

      How do I change the color of whitespace, i.e., when syntax “whitespace (add)” is selected?  I’m using vim v5.8 with a dark background.  The color of syntax whitespace is salmon (pink) so the contrast with the dark background is minimal.

      I tried the help docs on highlighting and whitespace but didn’t find an answer.  TIA ..

      Luis R. Núñez

    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
        > Hi,
        >
        > How do I change the color of whitespace, i.e., when syntax “whitespace (add)” is selected? I’m using vim v5.8 with a dark
        > background. The color of syntax whitespace is salmon (pink) so the contrast with the dark background is minimal.
        >
        > I tried the help docs on highlighting and whitespace but didn’t find an answer. TIA ..

        Please do not send HTML to this list.

        I am not sure what you mean by "syntax whitespace." Perhaps what you
        want is

        :hi Normal guibg=NONE

        If this is not what you want, try to be clearer. What sections of the help
        files are you looking at?

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Luis R. Nunez
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
          > Hi,
          >
          > How do I change the color of whitespace, i.e., when syntax "whitespace
          (add)" is selected? I'm using vim v5.8 with a dark
          > background. The color of syntax whitespace is salmon (pink) so the
          contrast with the dark background is minimal.

          > I tried the help docs on highlighting and whitespace but didn't find an
          answer. TIA ..
          >> Please do not send HTML to this list.
          OK ...

          >> I am not sure what you mean by "syntax whitespace."
          :cal SetSyn("whitespace") OR,
          From the Syntax pulldown Menu select: Syntax --> WXYZ --> Whitespace (add)
          When this syntax is selected, all the whitespace area is color highlighted.
          In my case, it is being highlighted with the color salmon pink. I want to
          change the color (pink) to one that has better contrast with a dark
          background.
          >> Perhaps what you want is

          >> :hi Normal guibg=NONE
          Didn't work.

          >> If this is not what you want, try to be clearer.
          I hope that adding the command I'm using helps. :cal SetSyn("whitespace")
          >> What sections of the help files are you looking at?
          :he highlight AND :he syntax-highlighting

          HTH --Benji Fisher
          Thanks ...
          Luis R. Núñez
        • Gary Holloway
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
            The highlight group being used there is "Space", try

            :hi Space guibg=Red
            (or whatever color you'd like instead of Red)

            -gary

            btw, I've found the following to be extremely useful; it's how I got this
            answer *quickly*.

            I have mapped "-a" to :call SyntaxAttr()
            (you can pick your favorite mapping :)

            And SyntaxAttr is:

            " EXAMPLE SETUP
            "
            " Show the syntax group name of the item under cursor.
            " map -a :call SyntaxAttr()<CR>

            function! SyntaxAttr()
            let synid = ""
            let guifg = ""
            let guibg = ""
            let gui = ""

            let id1 = synID(line("."), col("."), 1)
            let tid1 = synIDtrans(id1)

            if synIDattr(id1, "name") != ""
            let synid = "group: " . synIDattr(id1, "name")
            if (tid1 != id1)
            let synid = synid . '->' . synIDattr(tid1, "name")
            endif
            let id0 = synID(line("."), col("."), 0)
            if (synIDattr(id1, "name") != synIDattr(id0, "name"))
            let synid = synid . " (" . synIDattr(id0, "name")
            let tid0 = synIDtrans(id0)
            if (tid0 != id0)
            let synid = synid . '->' . synIDattr(tid0, "name")
            endif
            let synid = synid . ")"
            endif
            endif

            " Use the translated id for all the color & attribute lookups; the linked id yields blank values.
            if (synIDattr(tid1, "fg") != "" )
            let guifg = " guifg=" . synIDattr(tid1, "fg") . "(" . synIDattr(tid1, "fg#") . ")"
            endif
            if (synIDattr(tid1, "bg") != "" )
            let guibg = " guibg=" . synIDattr(tid1, "bg") . "(" . synIDattr(tid1, "bg#") . ")"
            endif
            if (synIDattr(tid1, "bold" ))
            let gui = gui . ",bold"
            endif
            if (synIDattr(tid1, "italic" ))
            let gui = gui . ",italic"
            endif
            if (synIDattr(tid1, "reverse" ))
            let gui = gui . ",reverse"
            endif
            if (synIDattr(tid1, "inverse" ))
            let gui = gui . ",inverse"
            endif
            if (synIDattr(tid1, "underline"))
            let gui = gui . ",underline"
            endif
            if (gui != "" )
            let gui = substitute(gui, "^,", " gui=", "")
            endif

            echohl MoreMsg
            let message = synid . guifg . guibg . gui
            if message == ""
            echohl WarningMsg
            let message = "<no syntax group here>"
            endif
            echo message
            echohl None
            endfunction

            / FROM: "Luis R. Nunez" <LNunez@...>, Dec 4 17:11 2001
            | ABOUT: RE: Whitespace Color setting
            |

            | > Hi,
            | >
            | > How do I change the color of whitespace, i.e., when syntax "whitespace
            | (add)" is selected? I'm using vim v5.8 with a dark
            | > background. The color of syntax whitespace is salmon (pink) so the
            | contrast with the dark background is minimal.
            | >
            | > I tried the help docs on highlighting and whitespace but didn't find an
            | answer. TIA ..
            | >> Please do not send HTML to this list.
            | OK ...
            |
            | >> I am not sure what you mean by "syntax whitespace."
            | :cal SetSyn("whitespace") OR,
            | From the Syntax pulldown Menu select: Syntax --> WXYZ --> Whitespace (add)
            | When this syntax is selected, all the whitespace area is color highlighted.
            | In my case, it is being highlighted with the color salmon pink. I want to
            | change the color (pink) to one that has better contrast with a dark
            | background.
            | >> Perhaps what you want is
            |
            | >> :hi Normal guibg=NONE
            | Didn't work.
            |
            | >> If this is not what you want, try to be clearer.
            | I hope that adding the command I'm using helps. :cal SetSyn("whitespace")
            | >> What sections of the help files are you looking at?
            | :he highlight AND :he syntax-highlighting
            |
            | HTH --Benji Fisher
            | Thanks ...
            | Luis R. N��ez

            \ END: "Luis R. Nunez"
          • Luis R. Nunez
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
              Thank you Gary! This is exactly what I needed. A very cool mapping.

              Luis R. Núñez