Re: what does 'past line' mean?

  • Piet Delport
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
      On Sun, 02 Dec 2001 at 13:01:51 -0800, Peoter Veliki wrote:

      > ':he selection' leads to this (a table that may not line up in this message):

      [fixed table]

      > Possible values:
      > value past line inclusive ~
      > old no yes
      > inclusive yes yes
      > exclusive yes no
      >
      > "past line" means that the cursor is allowed to be positioned one
      > character past the line.
      >
      > According to this table if 'selection=exclusive' then 'past line'
      > equals 'yes', however I don't observe that. I can only position past
      > the line if 'selection=inclusive'. Is this a typo in the docs or am I
      > mistaken?

      Well, "exclusive" works as expected here. Are you sure?

      Keep in mind that in exclusive mode, if `past line' isn't on, you won't
      be able to select the last character of the line. In other words, if
      you select a line with v$, the cursor *has* to be past the end, because
      an exclusive selection doesn't include the character that your cursor is
      on[1].

      > In general, I'd like to use inclusive mode but turn off 'past line'
      > since if you do this:
      >
      > v$
      >
      > it will highlight the end of line character (past line?) and bring up
      > the next line if the selection is deleted, which is not the behavior I
      > expect from v$d. Is there anyway of turning off 'past line' while
      > keeping selection=inclusive?

      Does selection=old not do this for you?

      [1] s/character that your cursor is on/last character of the selection/
      to be more correct/obscure.

      --
      Piet Delport <siberiyan@...>
      Today's subliminal thought is: