replacing something with \n

  • C. Porter Bassett
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
      I am running gvim 6.0 on win2k, and when I try to replace anything with \n, it doesn't work.  I get some unprintable character instead of a carriage return.  I am using ff=unix.
      C. Porter Bassett       cporter at byu dot edu     www.et.byu.edu/~porter
                  ICQ #:38435505          AIM ID: cporterbassett
      "Pretend like this is a really witty saying." - Anonymous
    • Jonathan Gardner
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
        On Monday 03 December 2001 10:58 am, C. Porter Bassett wrote:
        > I am running gvim 6.0 on win2k, and when I try to replace anything with \n,
        > it doesn't work. I get some unprintable character instead of a carriage
        > return. I am using ff=unix.

        Win2k - \r\n instead of \n for linebreaks.

        Try <CR> instead of \n.

        jonathan
      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
          On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 02:20:38PM +0900, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
          > On Monday 03 December 2001 10:58 am, C. Porter Bassett wrote:
          > > I am running gvim 6.0 on win2k, and when I try to replace anything with \n,
          > > it doesn't work. I get some unprintable character instead of a carriage
          > > return. I am using ff=unix.
          >
          > Win2k - \r\n instead of \n for linebreaks.
          >
          > Try <CR> instead of \n.

          <CR> doesn't seem to work, but \r does, oddly enough. This on a Unix
          system with ff=unix.

          Gary

          --
          Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
          garyjohn@... | Spokane, Washington, USA
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2001
            Hello Gary,

            Monday, December 03, 2001, 10:27:03 AM, You wrote:

            >> Win2k - \r\n instead of \n for linebreaks.
            >>
            >> Try <CR> instead of \n.

            GJ> <CR> doesn't seem to work, but \r does, oddly enough. This on a Unix
            GJ> system with ff=unix.

            \r breaks lines with ff=dos too.

            :help sub-replace-special :

            <CR> split line in two at this point (Type the <CR> as CTRL-V
            <Enter>)
            \r idem
            \<CR> insert a carriage-return (CTRL-M) (Type the <CR> as CTRL-V
            <Enter>)
            \n insert a <NL> (<NUL> in the file) (does NOT break the line)

            --

            jsv mailto:jsv@...