what does 'past line' mean?

  • Peoter Veliki
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2001
      ':he selection'   leads to this (a table that may not line up in this message):

       Possible values:
          value past line     inclusive ~
          old     no  yes
          inclusive    yes  yes
          exclusive    yes  no

       "past line" means that the cursor is allowed to be positioned one
       character past the line.

      According to this table if 'selection=exclusive' then 'past line' equals 'yes', however I don't observe that.  I can only position past the line if 'selection=inclusive'.  Is this a typo in the docs or am I mistaken?

      In general, I'd like to use inclusive mode but turn off 'past line' since if you do this:

      v$

      it will highlight the end of line character (past line?) and bring up the next line if the selection is deleted, which is not the behavior I expect from v$d.  Is there anyway of turning off 'past line' while keeping selection=inclusive?

      Thanks
    • Piet Delport
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
        On Sun, 02 Dec 2001 at 13:01:51 -0800, Peoter Veliki wrote:

        > ':he selection' leads to this (a table that may not line up in this message):

        [fixed table]

        > Possible values:
        > value past line inclusive ~
        > old no yes
        > inclusive yes yes
        > exclusive yes no
        >
        > "past line" means that the cursor is allowed to be positioned one
        > character past the line.
        >
        > According to this table if 'selection=exclusive' then 'past line'
        > equals 'yes', however I don't observe that. I can only position past
        > the line if 'selection=inclusive'. Is this a typo in the docs or am I
        > mistaken?

        Well, "exclusive" works as expected here. Are you sure?

        Keep in mind that in exclusive mode, if `past line' isn't on, you won't
        be able to select the last character of the line. In other words, if
        you select a line with v$, the cursor *has* to be past the end, because
        an exclusive selection doesn't include the character that your cursor is
        on[1].

        > In general, I'd like to use inclusive mode but turn off 'past line'
        > since if you do this:
        >
        > v$
        >
        > it will highlight the end of line character (past line?) and bring up
        > the next line if the selection is deleted, which is not the behavior I
        > expect from v$d. Is there anyway of turning off 'past line' while
        > keeping selection=inclusive?

        Does selection=old not do this for you?

        [1] s/character that your cursor is on/last character of the selection/
        to be more correct/obscure.

        --
        Piet Delport <siberiyan@...>
        Today's subliminal thought is: