Echoing You have new mail

  • Scott Beck
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2001
      Hi,

      I'm trying to figure out a way to echo something like
      You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/sbeck
      when my local spool has email in it.
      so
      1. I need to figure out if the file is empty, probably not that hard
      but I don't know what function would tell me that.
      2. I need to check the file every X minutes.

      Any :help would be appreciated. :)

      --
      -------------------- Gossamer Threads Inc. ----------------------
      Scott Beck Email: scott@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2001
        On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 01:41:26PM -0700, Scott Beck wrote:
        | Hi,
        |
        | I'm trying to figure out a way to echo something like
        | You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/sbeck

        man newmail

        If you have X then you can check out some other programs like xbiff
        or the various GNOME (and KDE, likely) applets that do the same thing.

        | Any :help would be appreciated. :)

        :-).

        -D

        --