Script to reformat message quotes

  • Thomas Hurst
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2001
      Someone (a quick mboxgrep shows it's Rory Campbell-Lange
      <rory@...>) was asking for a way to fix poorly quoted
      mail, since par only seems cabable of reflowing, not rebuilding the
      string.

      I don't think anyone mentioned anything suitable, so I've just finished
      (for tonight :) tweaking a script designed to rebuild quote strings with
      the One True Quote String ('> ', obviously), even if you're replying to
      someone with a really evil one. For instance:

      name> : |% >TH Bla bla, bla bla bla

      Becomes:

      It handles most special cases (including smileys, URI's and >From),
      and can be configured to compress quotes ('>>>>> '), strip trailing
      whitespace and not generate quotes for blank lines.

      It's written in Ruby (http://www.ruby-lang.org/), but I can do a Perl
      version if anyone really doesn't want to install Ruby.

      Grab it at: http://freak.aagh.net/code/quotefix.rb

      --
      Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst - freaky@... - http://www.aagh.net/