RE: Vim Regina: tragedy in .5 act

  • Alan G. Isaac
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
      On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Kesteloot, Lawrence wrote:
      > For a week I've been looking for the little window that you can
      > type ex commands in. I know it exists because I started it once
      > by accident. Turns out I have to type ":help cmdline-window".
      > I tried all the obvious combinations of "command" and "window"
      > and "ex" and so on. I ended up just going through the tags file of
      > the help system and grepping for "window".

      :h window<ctrl-d>

      Alan Isaac
    • Gary Holloway
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
        / FROM: "Kesteloot, Lawrence" <Lawrence.Kesteloot@...>, Nov 2 10:09 2001
        | ABOUT: RE: Vim Regina: tragedy in .5 act
        |
        | Austy Garhi (n. d'i-b.) [tgal@...] wrote:
        | > The Vim HELPFILES are a
        | > FORREST OF CONFUSION themselves! They do not let the user see
        | > how to use the Vim capabilities.
        |
        | I agree. Although the helpfiles have answers to all the questions,
        | you need to know how to ask the questions, which is sometimes
        | the problem.
        |
        | For a week I've been looking for the little window that you can
        | type ex commands in. I know it exists because I started it once
        | by accident. Turns out I have to type ":help cmdline-window".
        | I tried all the obvious combinations of "command" and "window"
        | and "ex" and so on. I ended up just going through the tags file of
        | the help system and grepping for "window".
        [snip]

        PLEASE don't take this reply they wrong way; trust me, I've spent pleanty of
        time looking for things too, and don't always find them quickly.

        In fact, when I moved to vim6, I had the exact same issue, I accidentally
        brought up the cmdline-window several times, and couldn't quite figure out
        how I'd done it (I think I actually figured out the keystrokes I was making --
        "q:" -- and got help on that, voila!).

        Certainly an index would be helpful.

        SUGGESTION FOR PATCH:
        "command-line-window" help tag.

        In this particular case, a tag of command-line-window would be *extremely*
        useful. Since "command-line" shows up in the status line, it would be a
        logical token to try to get help on -- but if you try to get help on
        "command-line" (even tabbing through the matches), you don't hit a match
        for help on the command-line window; you'll get in the right help *file*,
        but nowhere near section 6.

        But, still, Ugh! (especially for someone as experienced as yourself)

        If you type ":help window<tab>..." (... == keep hitting tab), you'll
        eventually get to "cmdline-window", which sounds like a good candidate...

        If nothing else, get help on command-line (which gets you into cmdline.txt),
        and read (or at least scan) the *whole* document. Yes that's a pain, but
        would have been faster than what you went through (a week?).

        -gary