regular expression question

  • Jonah
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2001
      vim help lists the meta-character "\_$" as "end of line, used anywhere",
      as distinct from "$", the normal end of line meta-character.

      Since VIM searches line by line (I think), I'm confused about when, even
      hypothetically,
      you could search for an end of line character other than actually at the end
      of a line.

      Can anyone give me an example?

      Thanks,
      Jonah
    • Kalle Bjorklid
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2001
        On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Jonah wrote:

        > vim help lists the meta-character "\_$" as "end of line, used anywhere",
        > as distinct from "$", the normal end of line meta-character.
        >
        > Since VIM searches line by line (I think), I'm confused about when,
        > even hypothetically, you could search for an end of line character
        > other than actually at the end of a line.

        Vim is able to do multiline regex-searches (i think this is a new feature
        in 6.0).

        example of the case you described:
        Searching a buffer like this:
        aaa
        bbb
        with an expression like this:
        a$\_.b
        does NOT find a match, while an exprssion like this:
        a\_$\_.b
        does match.

        note that '\n' is a synonym (I think) to '\_$\_.', since the next
        character after the "logical" line has ended is bound to be the
        newline-char (but, of course, this won't match to EOF)

        --
        "Kalle" Karl-Mikael Bjorklid
        E-Mail: bjorklid@...