Re: Vim Outliner alpha available

  • Ned Konz
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      On Thursday 01 November 2001 12:42 am, Benoit Cerrina wrote:

      > could you post an explaination of what you mean by outliner?

      Sure...

      An outliner is an editor for hierarchically structured text or other content.

      The first outliners appeared back in the '80's (ThinkTank, More!,
      and Ready come to mind), but have not survived as a separate product
      category.

      However, their legacy lives on in modern projects.
      Probably the best known example of them is the
      Outline View in Microsoft Word.
      I've adopted this model for my outliner.
      Of course, Vim outlines are pure text instead
      of a M$ proprietary file format.

      Here's the model:

      Headlines establish a hierarchy.

      Headline levels are determined by their indenting (1 tab per headline level).

      Headlines may be collapsed, in which case you just see the headline
      and the first line of its text, if any, but not any of its sub-headlines.

      Operations on headlines affect their text as well as subheads.
      These include:
      * Promote/Demote (decrease/increase the indent)
      * Cut
      * Paste before/after
      * Yank (copy)

      You can quickly determine how many levels you want to display,
      so you can zoom into and out of the structure.
      If you do (for instance) \2 then only levels 0, 1, and 2 will be shown.

      Headlines may have attached text.
      I've used comment characters to mark text blocks,
      so a piece of an outline with text might look like:

      Level 0
      Level 1
      | Level 1's text
      Level 2
      | level 2 text
      | another line
      Another Level 1 heading
      Another level 2 heading

      Because there's both text and headlines, I've also supplied two operations
      that extract a subset of the outline to another buffer/window:

      * Extract text (gets all the text, removes comment characters, reformats).
      Will include headings marked with "+" signs.

      * Extract heads

      Also see some web sites that discuss outliners:
      http://www.outliners.com/
      http://frontier.userland.com/stories/storyReader$307
      http://john.redmood.com/organizers.html

      --